Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shilen Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Chambering

I have an 8# 6 oz 1.250 taper to 1 inch 29 inch barrel chambered for 270 AI. It's just a beautiful handling hunting and paper rifle. Because of the weight of the rifle with bipod and 6X24 56mm scope you don't even come off the target when you pull the trigger. Out to 200 yards with a 24 power you can see the holes appearing on the paper.

IMO - You really need over 28 inches of barrel to get the most out of the slowest burning powders and the heaviest bullets.

I've had friends wonder how I can hump the mountians packing a 18 or so pound weapon, but to me it's the shear joy of knowing that you can place the bullet where you want to.

So you kind of pick out a contour as to what barrel weight you think that you would like. I have two heavy guns in 28 & 29 inch barrels and two smaller contour 26 & 28 inch rifles. For extended firering like I do when parrie dog hunting you need the heavy barrel for all the heat.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shilen Barrels

Alex,

I'm going to give my good experience, bad experience with Shilen.

I had them put a 28" barrel and brake on my 416 wby. It shoots absolutly awsome!

I then had them put a 28" barrel and brake on my 338-378 wby. After several frustrating months of inconsistancy.......the rifle would shoot bug holes one session then 1 1/2" groups the next, or group high or low from a previous session. After several scope, ring and bases changes and remounts I sent the rifle to Kirby Allen (fiftydriver) to evaluate. After dissasembly, he informed me that Shilen had screwed up the threads and had compensated by using locktite to secure the barrel in place.

Kirby installed a new Lilja tube and now all is well.....all bug holes all the time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

In my opinion you should look to the gunsmiths on this site who are very capable of building precision rifles for magnum high intensity calibers. Kirby Allen or Shawn Carlock can both build you a rifle that will be awsome, and probably will not cost anymore than Shilen.

Just my opinion and sugestion for what it is worth.