close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shilen Barrel ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Shilen Barrel ?

I am thinking about another rifle barrel. I can get a Shilen in Match Grade ( NOT SELECT )for $160. Does anyone have any results with these barrels?

I already have Krieger for serious work and would like something to shoot without burning up the Krieger at short range.

Thanks in advance.

edge.
    Unread 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
    Bronze Member

Re: Shilen Barrel ?

My understanding after touring the factory is that the only difference is that the non match shilen barrels are not air gauged. Potentially you could end up with a real shooter. I could be way off base though.

Unread 09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
    Gold Member

I use to install lots of Shilen barrels, i never had one that would not shoot. The difference is like what Waffen said, if you order a super match grade, they simply air gauge 5 bbls and give you the best one. I dont like this system to pay more for somthing you may luck out getting. I stopped using Shilen barrels for mostly this reason. If you order a top grade bbl, there shouldn't be a need to grade them. In my opinon they should all be tested for quality, the barrels that dont meet the standards should not be sold. But like i said, i never had a bad barrel.

"Let the good times roll"
    Unread 09-11-2006, 03:54 PM
    Platinum Member

Thanks Waffen and Black Diamond 408 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Since Shilen barrels are button rifled, did you lap them in or did you have your clients shoot them in?

I'll give it a try, after all it is only $160, plus my labor in chambering and crowning...which I enjoy anyway.

Thanks,

edge.
    Unread 09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
    Gold Member

They were just shot in, i wouldn't sell or buy a barrel that needs lapping.

"Let the good times roll"
    Unread 09-12-2006, 02:04 AM
    Silver Member

My .300 Win Mag is on a Shilen and was shot in carefully.

It shoots well, but if I had to complain, it has a spot about 1/4 to 1/3 way down the tube about 6" long that fouls noticeably more than the rest - and always has.

You can easily feel how "sticky" the patch is when you clean past there, but once you clean it it feels smooth as the rest.

Like I said though - shoots well.
    Unread 09-12-2006, 06:21 AM
    Platinum Member

Thanks everyone, I bought the barrel and hopefully will machine it and shoot it in next few weeks. I will report my results....

edge.