Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

shawns video is confusing me but i would recommend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

shawns video is confusing me but i would recommend

ok i just got shawns new video its great..... very highly recommended......

i am wondering what info you input into you pda. during the video he says that you need temp, altitude, humidity and barametric. i knew that. but
when i am in the field and inputting the information into my pda with exbal i should input all of these things into it to get the best information. during the show though shawn said to calibrate your weather station to 0ft altitude to get the baramtric pressure where you are. if i calibrate to 0ft it will show my pressure where i am but then my altitude will be wrong.

is he saying to have another devise to get altitude or estimate it? is it more important to use the other info in my weather station. should i jsut leave my pda's altitude at zero?

or maybe im completly wrong let me know your thoughts.....
Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

You don't need to input altitude at all if you're using station pressure. Unclick 'Calculate Standard Pressure', put 0 in altitude and put your station pressure from your barometric pressure device in the pressure box. Make sure your 'weather station' is set to station pressure--the pressure where you are at that time.

Did I get that right, guys?

Edit: The barometric pressure at your location is what matters, not altitude. The barometric pressure at you location takes into account altitude and any weather systems that might cause change in the pressure, so there is no need to include an altitude. Knowing your altitude is great, but it has no direct bearing on how the bullet will fly, barometric pressure does.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 05-12-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
You don't need to input altitude at all if you're using station pressure. Unclick 'Calculate Standard Pressure', put 0 in altitude and put your station pressure from your barometric pressure device in the pressure box. Make sure your 'weather station' is set to station pressure--the pressure where you are at that time.

Did I get that right, guys?
thats what i got from the video. to get my pressure i have to set my skymaster to 0ft altitude and i will show station preaswure where i am right?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Sponsor

Correct. I enter the elevation anyway from habit but it is not necessary.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

tjonh2001,

On the Barometric Pressure screen of your weather station, when you calibrate it you set the elevation or Altitude = 0; but on the Altitude or Elevation screen, you enter the actual known elevation that you’re at. That way the weather station will give you local on the spot barometric pressure readings and when you change to the Altitude screen you will see the elevation for the spot. I hope it’s clear. You don’t need another device.

It’s true that barometric pressure is what we care about and not elevation; here is the “but”, according to Exbal’s creator you need to enter the elevation.

If you zero your rifle at 2000 ft of altitude, you enter all the info in Exbal including altitude and then on the main screen of Exbal you click on “Programs Options”, that gives you a long list if you’re running the latest version which is the one I have, from the list click on “Save Sight-in Conditions” another screen pops up; if the sight in conditions are entered properly, then un-check both boxes at top and bottom and click update. Those conditions will be saved internally and will be used to calculate your new trajectories when you go hunting at 9000 ft of altitude, which you will have to enter in for the program to know you’re now hunting at 9000 feet, enter all the other information as you did when you zeroed in. Do not mess with the previously saved sight-in conditions. This is a powerful reason to enter the Elevation or Altitude. Please do!!!

I hope this helps.

Eaglet.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
tjonh2001,

On the Barometric Pressure screen of your weather station, when you calibrate it you set the elevation or Altitude = 0; but on the Altitude or Elevation screen, you enter the actual known elevation that you’re at. That way the weather station will give you local on the spot barometric pressure readings and when you change to the Altitude screen you will see the elevation for the spot. I hope it’s clear. You don’t need another device.

It’s true that barometric pressure is what we care about and not elevation; here is the “but”, according to Exbal’s creator you need to enter the elevation.

If you zero your rifle at 2000 ft of altitude, you enter all the info in Exbal including altitude and then on the main screen of Exbal you click on “Programs Options”, that gives you a long list if you’re running the latest version which is the one I have, from the list click on “Save Sight-in Conditions” another screen pops up; if the sight in conditions are entered properly, then un-check both boxes at top and bottom and click update. Those conditions will be saved internally and will be used to calculate your new trajectories when you go hunting at 9000 ft of altitude, which you will have to enter in for the program to know you’re now hunting at 9000 feet, enter all the other information as you did when you zeroed in. Do not mess with the previously saved sight-in conditions. This is a powerful reason to enter the Elevation or Altitude. Please do!!!

I hope this helps.

Eaglet.
Eaglet,

Why are you giving advice? You don't even like Exbal!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,

I'm confused. Try doing what you are saying either in 'field conditions' or in 'save sight in information' and when you enter the new altitude and hit update, you will see the program check the 'calculate standard pressure' and see the pressure value changed to a predicted pressure just as the screen changes.

The program then makes a predicted trajectory based on the predicted standard pressure for that altitude, which could be somewhat off depending on if there is a hi or lo pressure system in the area. You need to measure station pressure at your new location. That's what's important, not altitude.

You can put whatever altitude you want in 'field conditions' and the predicted trajectory will not change if 'calculate standard pressure' stays unchecked because the pressure remains constant this way unless you manually change it. However, everytime you go to change altitude, you have to watch very closely as the program will check 'calculate standard pressure' and enter in that calculated pressure (just a number from a table, perhaps quite a bit differnent than actual station pressure) just as you hit update.

Are we communicating, or am I just muddying the waters?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl