Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sharpie effects on accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Sharpie effects on accuracy?

Does marking a bullet with a Sharpie have an effect on its accuracy?

I was doing some shooting for load development today. Just 3-shot groups at 100yds. When loading the rounds last night, I marked a few with a Sharpie to verify the bullet was touching the lands. I put on a pretty heavy coat and did not wipe it off. Groups were eratic on the loads I marked. Then, at one load, only one of the three bullets were marked. Two went through the same hole, the 3rd about 3/4" away. The flyer was the Sharpie'd round. This got me to thinking that the ink could be impacting accuracy. Any thoughts? I plan to verify this load just to be sure, but was wondering if you guys had any opinions on this.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sharpie effects on accuracy?

Yep, sharpie ON THE BEARING SURFACE!!! will change the POI. If its only in front of the BS there will be no change at all. Why would you want to sharpie a bullet other than checking seating depth? it leaves a colored ring around the bullet hole. You can shoot multiple rifles on the same target, and still distinguish which holes belong to which rifle, detecting and identifying crossfires, and you can shoot multiple loads onto the same target (like during load develpment) without having to change your benchsetup to a ajacent target. If anybody is thinking of trying it, red, blue and green are most visible. Just keep it out of the BS an all will be well.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Well, that answers it. I had it covering from just above where the lands touches down to the case neck. I usually don't use this method, but thought I would give it a try against my Stoney Point gauge for verifying my OAL. The goal was to seat .010" into the lands. I probably won't be doing this again. I do like your idea about color coding though.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Yea...what adam said [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I have been marking mine for a while, and hasnt hurt me.

That said...KEEP IT AHEAD OF THE OGIVE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

blue and red has workled the best for me...

JB
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

Would one of you be kind enough to enlighten me as to what a 'sharpie' is?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Would one of you be kind enough to enlighten me as to what a 'sharpie' is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is your friend [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consu...questid=205219

cheers,
JB