Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

several Savage questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

several Savage questions

I have been planning to build a new long range varmint rifle, and received a Savage Target action (RBLP 308 boltface) as a gift today. You guys have been awful helpful on my previous questions, and was hoping for a few points in the right direction.

1. I was planning on a 22/6mm on my original build. Is this single shot action going to be about right for this cartridge, or will I be better of with a 22/243 because of action length? I want to use a 8 or 9 twist, and shoot the 75 or 80gr amax. cartridge overall length with the 22/6mm could be as long as 3.100 inches.

2. This gun will be shot off a bench, and off a bipod. Heavy is fine. I was thinking of using the same contour as a precision varmint gun savage makes. I believe it is untapered and 1" in diameter (outside of the threading, of course). Am I on the right lines for contour, or can I go fatter? These are large shank actions, and have 3 pillars, if it makes a difference.

3. I was thinking of a 3 groove or polygonal from pacnor, or a ratchet rifled from shilen. Staying within this price range, is there someplace else I should be looking?

4. I like the looks of the laminated varmint tactical stock from sharp shooter supply. I would opt for the adjustable comb and butthook. Has anyone tried stocks out from these guys? What was the quality? Is the accessory rail a good investment for the bipod?

5. Originally, I was going to use a luppy 6.5 - 20 leupold. You guys don't seem to like them. I can't afford a nightforce. If I stayed in the luppy price range, what scopes did you have in mind? I want better image than a Supersniper(nothing against them...I own one). I kind of like the IOR MP8 reticle, but have never seen an IOR scope in person, and am a little curious on quality. My tactical shooting guys aren't fans, but my benchrest guys are. Any thoughts?

I can smith most things on my own...I build custom mausers for friends and family. They are all sporter or varmint style guns. Not new to assembly, machining, etc....just don't know much about what works on a savage. I hope this helps with answers. I really appreciate the help.
wk
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

The action you have is a great base for an accurate build , as for the chambering , well since its a single shot it realy doesen't matter how long the round is , you can make it a 300 RUM if you want. I actualy know of a 300RUM built on a Rem 700 short action , the bolt has to be pulled to remove a live round but other than that it works great.

1) yep the action is fine for that round. Why that round though?

2) you can make it a full 1.35" barrel if you like , in fact I would recomend
that you set the barrel up with a shoulder like the Rem does rather
than with the barrel nut system

3) Three groove barrels work great for hotter rounds as they tend to last
a little longer due to the larger land size but this extra land size is very
hard on the thin jacket LR bullet and will tend to make them blow up
I have never seen or heard of anybody that was happy with a Pac-nor
Poly rifled barrel , I would look else where. The shilen Ratchet is said
to be good but I personaly don't care for either of these barrel makers
as their barrels tend to be soft. I would look at Lilja , Broughton ,
Rock Creek or Kreiger.

4) have never delt with Fred's laminated stocks but everything else he
deals with is of decient quality , if you like a laminated I'd call Joel Russo
he is a member here and make an A-5 clone out of many differant
colors of laminates , his customer service is top notch as his stocks

5) theirs nothing wrong with the Lupy your looking at it will serve you well
But if you can swing the price of the IOR they are better scopes , most
Guys here like the scopes with larger "tactical" style adjustment dials
as they are a bit faster to adjust when hunting big game where shots
are dialed in upon ranging , not realy needed on a dog town.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

You might try posting this question on

Savage Shooters

A small fee of $12 a year gets you access to all parts of this site and there is a lot more than $12 worth of wisdom there.

I would keep the barrel nut, then you could get multiple barrels to switch out. There is an article there for members on this and many other subjects. I think you will like this action and the Savage is really user friendly for DIY guys.

Good luck on your project.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

the savage action would work great, I would do like hrstretch suggested about savage shooters and the barrel nut. They helped me a bunch. I built a 22-243 with 90gr bergers and love it but it will limit your range on deer size game to about 700 yrd max with perfect shot placement. I would go with something bigger if your wanting long range deer hunting like 7mm, 30 cal.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

Here is my $.02 my standard run of the mill savage will shoot less than 1/2 moa if I am good that day. It has been trued by a gunsmith but I do have a factory barrel. I was having a mauser action re-barreled to a 260 rem but decided to do it on a savage action instead, I love them. I also love my IOR scope, I have 200 or so rounds thru my 300 win since that scope has been on, I have clicked up and down and used the reticle for hold over (MP-8) everything works as it should, glass is excellent. This rifle is a hunting rifle so I don't have any target/benchrest data to give but I am relatively new to this and the scope/rifle combination is really working for me
Old 11-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

1. The Savage action you have should be great for your project, you may need to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round but that is only a minor issue and it may work fine without pulling the bolt.

2. I would go with a PacNor heavy palma contour and a standard 4 or 5 groove and lose the barrel nut. The only advantage the barrel nut has for a switch barrel gun is that you can have a pre-chambered barrel shipped to you and install it yourself, it sounds to me like you chamber your own barrels. Losing the nut allows a heavier shank which I like. The action you have will handle the heavy barrel fine. I have 4 groove PacNor 6mm 14tw barrel that has been just great, fouls very little and shoots great.

3. Answered in #2 but Iíll add go with the super match grade.

4. I have no experience with SSS stocks so Iíll leave that one alone.

5. I have been having very good luck with Sightron scopes I have always felt Leupold is overpriced for what you get.

I read your comment about benchrest guys, are you shooting benchrest and if so where at I am only about 100 miles from you and was just curious.
James
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
1) yep the action is fine for that round. Why that round though?
Thanks for the response. Why this round.... destruction of prairie dogs comes to mind. Did you have a different caliber in mind for these purposes?
wk
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt