Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Setting up a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Setting up a new rifle

Hi guys, I just bought a new Rem milspec 5R in 300WinMag with a 26 barrel. It has a decent HS Precision stock, so that is ok for now. It has the adjustable xmark trigger that feels pretty good, so that is ok for now. What else should I be considering? A muzzle break? Some sort of metal coating such as cerakote or durakote? Oversize bolt knob? I already have some berger 180's and 210's, and may also give the SMK's a try as well. I am trying to decide on everything I want to get done to it right now so I can send it off and have it all done at one time.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Setting up a new rifle

Coating it will have no affect on how well it shoots, so if it is in your budget, that is fine. But id you are trying to keep cost down iw ould not do it.
I would however check to see if the barrel is free floated or not.
The HS stock will have an aluminum bedding block, but I like to skim coat them with Devcon, and set the action screws at a consistant #'s.
Then do load developement and see how it shoots.
The rest is just cosmetics.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Coating it will have no affect on how well it shoots, so if it is in your budget, that is fine. But id you are trying to keep cost down iw ould not do it.
I would however check to see if the barrel is free floated or not.
The HS stock will have an aluminum bedding block, but I like to skim coat them with Devcon, and set the action screws at a consistant #'s.
Then do load developement and see how it shoots.
The rest is just cosmetics.
Thanks for the advice. I have already checked the barrel and it is free floated, and torqued the action screws. I hadn't thought about coating the bedding like you suggest. I will look into that a little further. I guess the main thing then is do I need a brake? It is a fairly heavy rifle, so the recoil shouldn't be too bad. So now I just need to decide on a scope. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

I'd clean the barrel thoroughly, take it out of the stock, adjust or replace the trigger, put it back in the stock and torque to 65in/lbs (if it has an aluminum bedding block). Use a dependable ring/mount system to mount as good a scope as I could afford. Then I would start load development and find a load that it likes. When I get a "new" rifle I can hardly wait to get settled in behind it. I'm not about to send it off for several weeks! JohnnyK.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
I'd clean the barrel thoroughly, take it out of the stock, adjust or replace the trigger, put it back in the stock and torque to 65in/lbs (if it has an aluminum bedding block). Use a dependable ring/mount system to mount as good a scope as I could afford. Then I would start load development and find a load that it likes. When I get a "new" rifle I can hardly wait to get settled in behind it. I'm not about to send it off for several weeks! JohnnyK.
Great, thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Sorry not to have seen your post before, however, you might want to consider this..
Mag-na-port International--Home Page
Shock to the shoulder is not cool - hitting one shot put downs is cool, and this helps.