Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Seperated head/case help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Seperated head/case help

Well they there is a first time for everything. I've seperated a 8mm/30 case from its head breaking in a barrel this morning. It was older brass loaded with H870 91gr and 180 speer spitzer. I had fired 5/1 then 3, 3 and was started on first of the next 5 rounds when it happened. I had trashed the fired brass after each session as I knew it was close to EOL but didn't expect this.
I would like to know the correct way to remove the stuck casing. Any special tooling required?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Seperated head/case help

[ QUOTE ]
Well they there is a first time for everything. I've seperated a 8mm/30 case from its head breaking in a barrel this morning. It was older brass loaded with H870 91gr and 180 speer spitzer. I had fired 5/1 then 3, 3 and was started on first of the next 5 rounds when it happened. I had trashed the fired brass after each session as I knew it was close to EOL but didn't expect this.
I would like to know the correct way to remove the stuck casing. Any special tooling required?

[/ QUOTE ] Use a ruptured cartridge case extractor. I believe Forrester still makes them. Check Brownell's.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

take a too big bronze bristle brush (new 30 cal should actually work)...insert thru breech till it is in the bore just a little, then revers and pop it backwards

the bristles will dig instead of reversing like nylon, and should grab the severed case half and pull it out.

maybe also try inverting a can of compressed air and hit the case with the liquid CO2 that comes out -- case may fall out.

JB
Old 06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the info replies. The new 30 brush didn't work. Maybe the can of air beside the computer will work, if not the off to the gun shops. I'll check into getting the proper removal tool if a local gun shop doesn't have one to remove the stuck, broken, seperated casing. Patience is a virtue. My 'smith is out of town,ah.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Take an empty case of the same caliber apply small ammount of loctite on case and insert into stuck case being careful not to get loctite everywhere.Let it dry for several hours
and take long rod and drive both cases out, works great.Don't be a tight wad like me and this problem will go away!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
take a too big bronze bristle brush (new 30 cal should actually work)...insert thru breech till it is in the bore just a little, then revers and pop it backwards

the bristles will dig instead of reversing like nylon, and should grab the severed case half and pull it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

JBs method is what I have used in the past. Had a complete cae seperation on my brother inlaws 303british enfield. used a 8mm bronze bore brush, twist in untill you are just past the case neck with the end of the brush (the end front of the brush, not the back where the rod attaches) and twist out. ought to come out pretty easy.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:23 AM
Gold Member

We have tried JB's method, didn't work. The Loctite works every time period!!!!