Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sendero vs Custom Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sendero vs Custom Rifle

To my understanding, you still need to glass bed or pillar bed any stock with "full length aluminum bedding" to get the most consistent accuracy out of it.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

My 6mm has the Alum. bedding block and is not bedded. I have thought about doing this, but I am kinda reluctant due to the rifle shooting so well as is. I've also thought about putting a quality stock, like an A-5 with all the bells and whistles on it, but again I don't want to ruin a good thing. In the very least, on this factory stock, they do what is called "skim bedding". Which simply amounts to applying a thin layer of material to the areas you normally bed. Tightens everything up.
db
Old 11-20-2006, 12:04 PM

don't worry, I notified the moderator and he will be looking into this situation. Just kidding.
Breathing Control
Trigger Control
Old 11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

The NF problem is an example of just how astronomically bad my luck really is.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With a glass bedding and a trigger adjustment, it will suit you fine as a long range rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it necessary to glass bed a sendero? The Remington website says that: "Full-length aluminum bedding blocks create accuracy-enhancing platforms for the barreled actions"

I wasn't sure if they do this instead of bedding the action? So then, would glass bedding the action kinda be like having extra insurance?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that anything is "necessary". It depends on your needs.

If you pull a 700 action out of a H-S stock (H-S makes the stocks)... and put machinest's blue on the action, then put it in the stock and tap it with a rubber mallet, you will see that it touches the aluminum block in only 3 or 4 tiny places.

If you bed it (some call it skim bedding), the action will now have full contact, and will not be sensitive to screw torque.

I have bedded all of mine and about 45 for customers over the years, most shoot better, none shot worse.

LRH member #23
Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Most of the guns I have had in the past including 2 I own now are semi customs. I start by looking for a good rifle like a Sako something with a stock I like I send it to kreiger or ray mongomery and have it rebarreled to a 26in whatever. When I get it back I bed the action and I'm done. I usually have about 1000.00 in the rifle and they all have shot well. I will add I have never had a huge gun built like alot of the guys on LRH use. but they are shooting real good groups at 1000-1500 yrds. I build guns for stalk hunting. I have shot targets out to 1000 but I really don't shoot much past 500 in the field this is my conmfort zone. I'm not saying that the big guns are a wast I may have a big custom built in the future but for my purposes this is what I do and for about the same money as an Accumark usually less if I don't have to buy the reamers. The benefit is I get a good barrel and the twist that I want and the chamber cut to my specs.

Rh
Old 11-21-2006, 02:36 PM

My Sendero 7mm STW has a trigger job only has been checked out by a gunsmith and with my realoads it shoots .1/4 MOA all day long. I think it could do better if I wasn't so recoil sensitive to it.

I would like a muzzel brake to help with the recoil and I would be happy.

I purchased it used two cristmas's ago for $575. Most accurate gun I own.