Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Is the Sendero SF II a good start on a LR rig ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Is the Sendero SF II a good start on a LR rig ?

I just ordered a Sendero in .300 RUM, to use for long target work, and hunting over corn fields. I'm just wondering if it is a good starter rig for long range work, I mean I know it's no custom Lapua. I already own and shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag, so recoil is a non-issue to me.

I also wanted to know about using the 220 and 240gr Matchkings in the 1 in 10 twist barrel. I've already got a can of Retumbo waiting.

Lastly, is bedding the action worth it on these rifles ?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is the Sendero SF II a good start on a LR rig ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I just ordered a Sendero in .300 RUM, to use for long target work, and hunting over corn fields. I'm just wondering if it is a good starter rig for long range work, I mean I know it's no custom Lapua. I already own and shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag, so recoil is a non-issue to me.

I also wanted to know about using the 220 and 240gr Matchkings in the 1 in 10 twist barrel. I've already got a can of Retumbo waiting.

Lastly, is bedding the action worth it on these rifles ?

Thanks in advance
Tang, I have bought two used of the older SF's and they are great shooters. One in 25-06 and the other 300 RUM. Retumbo should be a great powder and maybe the most popular for the 300 RUM. I'm using it and it is working well with 180 E-Tips, 200 AB's and 210 Bergers. I think the Sendoro is a great starter and if you get a good one it will rival most custom rifles out of the box.

My thoughts on bedding... I'm waiting on that. Right now I'm getting sub 1/2 MOA past 400 yds. I'm not sure that I need a bedding job or how it might effect the rifle. It's possible but hard to improve of what I've got now and I think i can get it a little tighter with a little more load tuning. I have found out you need to keep the bedding clean and dry for good solid contact. I've also found out that precise and consistant handloading is critical. I also use a slip-on recoil pad at the range which lets me shoot it all day. I think you'll find the recoil sharper than your 338 WM. It uses significantly more powder and creates significantly higher velocities for the same weight bullet. You will know it when you break the trigger

I dont use the SMK's but the 10 twist should work fine for the 220 and I think for the 240. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Good shooting and keep us posted, always interested in hereing how the other 300 ultra shooters are doing.

Best,

Mark
Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

On my Sendero, I skim bedded the top and actually hogged some material out to totally bed the recoil lug. the bedding seemed to improve day to day consistency in the rifle.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm anxious to get it here. Now if I can just talk the wife into buying me a Zeiss for Christmas

Bullets I will try, are the 200gr AB's, 210 VLD, 220 SMK and 208 A-Max. I see no reason to even venture down to the 150's and 165's with the RUM. I will probably use a Slip-On Limbsaver at the range.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Tang,
I built my LRH rifle on a SenederoII, mines in 300WinMag but with a modified chamber.
I skim bedded the action and recoil lug, and bedded the first 2" of barrel as well. It runs a Jewel trigger and PT&G S/S bottom metal.

It is a very sturdy and solid platform for serious accuracy work straight out of the box, but as with all things they can be improved upon.
I believe you'll be very happy with your new SenderoII!
Cheers.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Tang,
I built my LRH rifle on a SenederoII, mines in 300WinMag but with a modified chamber.
I skim bedded the action and recoil lug, and bedded the first 2" of barrel as well. It runs a Jewel trigger and PT&G S/S bottom metal.

It is a very sturdy and solid platform for serious accuracy work straight out of the box, but as with all things they can be improved upon.
I believe you'll be very happy with your new SenderoII!
Cheers.

Im like a kid waiting on christmas. He will order it on Monday and I'll have it by Wed. . Sucks that I got to stick a Bushnell 6-24x40 on it for right now though. I am curious how long the Banner will live on the Ultra though. I figure it will be good enough for load work at 100 yards.

Anybody have an idea where I can get some brass ?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

The local Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsaman's Warehouse) had some Rem Brass in for $50 per bag of 50. You might try Cabella's or Midway or a few of the other online stores. I was actually thinking about advertising in the local rag for once fired brass. I would almost rather have that than the new.

Not sure that Bushnell will hold up very long, do you have any other scopes? Whats on your other mags?