Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sendero II Bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sendero II Bedding

How about pictures of the bed ???
Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

I've got a rifle I plan to do sometimes this week.I'll take some pictures and post them when I do.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM

There must be something wrong with your way of doing the bedding. It sounds way to simple.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Well I finally got a day off and got around to bedding my Remington 700 6mm.I haven't shot the rifle in a couple of years and when I took her to the range,she wouldn't shoot worth a darn.I noticed my free floating barrel was not floating anymore.This rifle has not had any work done on it before,so today I performed the simple the bedding job I've done to all my rifles and they are tight shooters,just check my previous posting in this thread.When I removed the barreled action from the stock,I saw that whatever oil had been used on the rifle had reacted to the varnish inside the barrel channel of the stock.I also saw some bluing wear on the barrel where it was making contact with the stock.I removed the bad varnish and sanded off the high spots in the barrel channel.I mixed up a small batch of 5 Min. epoxy and wiped some on the sanded area using my hand in a nitrile glove to seal the sanded area.I also noticed only about half the recoil lug was making contact in the back of the lug channel of the stock.I knew this would be fixed when I put the epoxy in the channel.I put some Snow Seal on the recoil lug of the rifle as a releasing agent,mixed up a batch of 6 Min. Epoxy Gel,filled the lug channel half way with the epoxy and assembled the rifle and left it in a horizontal resting position while the epoxy cures.Here's the photos of the operation.Rem 700 Beading 001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flickr: baldhunter's Photostream
Rem 700 Beading 008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhunter View Post
Well I finally got a day off and got around to bedding my Remington 700 6mm.I haven't shot the rifle in a couple of years and when I took her to the range,she wouldn't shoot worth a darn.I noticed my free floating barrel was not floating anymore.This rifle has not had any work done on it before,so today I performed the simple the bedding job I've done to all my rifles and they are tight shooters,just check my previous posting in this thread.When I removed the barreled action from the stock,I saw that whatever oil had been used on the rifle had reacted to the varnish inside the barrel channel of the stock.I also saw some bluing wear on the barrel where it was making contact with the stock.I removed the bad varnish and sanded off the high spots in the barrel channel.I mixed up a small batch of 5 Min. epoxy and wiped some on the sanded area using my hand in a nitrile glove to seal the sanded area.I also noticed only about half the recoil lug was making contact in the back of the lug channel of the stock.I knew this would be fixed when I put the epoxy in the channel.I put some Snow Seal on the recoil lug of the rifle as a releasing agent,mixed up a batch of 6 Min. Epoxy Gel,filled the lug channel half way with the epoxy and assembled the rifle and left it in a horizontal resting position while the epoxy cures.Here's the photos of the operation.Rem 700 Beading 001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flickr: baldhunter's Photostream
Rem 700 Beading 008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Those are good pics, thanks for sharing. Couple of questions...

I've heard it's good to leave a space in front of the recoil lug... do you completely encase the the lug?

It doesn't lokk like you get any of the epoxy into the receiver channel (bed) of the stock?

Is this the same way you bed the Sendero recoil lugs?

I f you wanted to put in a larger custom recoil lug later on, could you hog out the epoxy and redo it?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Those are good pics, thanks for sharing. Couple of questions...

I've heard it's good to leave a space in front of the recoil lug... do you completely encase the the lug?

It doesn't lokk like you get any of the epoxy into the receiver channel (bed) of the stock?

Is this the same way you bed the Sendero recoil lugs?

I f you wanted to put in a larger custom recoil lug later on, could you hog out the epoxy and redo it?
Lug is encased.Does not seem to affect it.
Epoxy was wiped on bare wood after sanding.Barrel is free floated.
Yes I bed all my rifles this way.
And yes you can pop the epoxy out fairly easy with a screw driver and a little work.