Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sendero II Bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 AM

Sendero II Bedding

I have a Sendero II in 300rum. The problem I am having is vertical stringing and then the occasional flyer. One gunsmith said I need to bed the firt two inches of the barrel. I'm leaving on a trip next week, so he said a quick fix was to fold up a business card and slide in between barrel and stock tip and leave it there, thus applying pressure to the barrel. What do you guys think of this? I was always under the impression that the barrel should not be in contact with anything
Old 11-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sendero II Bedding

Im tagging this thread, since I have the same rifle on its way.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Bedding the first 2 inches of the barrel is one procedure that MAY work in eliminating your vertical stringing. Going to the range and trying the business card trick is definately a cheap way to diagnose a potential problem. If the business card trick works I would be more likely to bed a "pad" under the barrel near the front of the stock. As good as the HS Precison stocks are, they still need to be machined with a few thousandths of tolerance to allow for tolerance variances in the Reminton actions. So I would first recommend a bedding over the aluminum bedding block in the stock to see if that dosen't take care of your problem. I would only bed the barrel as a last resort on a rifle like the Sendero that comes with a moderately heavy barrel.
Lastly, check all the other issues that can cause this kind of stringing. Loose action bolts, loose scope mounts, etc...
Good luck!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Once I bedded my sendero action my groups tightened up and became more consistent. Half MOA for a 3-400 yards. I used devcon steel. Lug on back.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

The problem I saw with my Sendero and the aluminum bedding block is,the recoil lug has no reference.The channel appears to be cut oversized,leaving the base of the action doing all the work without the help of the recoil lug.You can tell this is happening because when you put the stock on,the barreled action wants to roll.I corrected this problem with mine by bedding only the recoil lug.I've got as good as .179 three shot groups @ a 100yds out of my 7mag. using this method.I use 5 minute epoxy and a shoe wax as a release agent.I bed all my rifles this way and they all get excellent groups.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhunter View Post
The problem I saw with my Sendero and the aluminum bedding block is,the recoil lug has no reference.The channel appears to be cut oversized,leaving the base of the action doing all the work without the help of the recoil lug.You can tell this is happening because when you put the stock on,the barreled action wants to roll.I corrected this problem with mine by bedding only the recoil lug.I've got as good as .179 three shot groups @ a 100yds out of my 7mag. using this method.I use 5 minute epoxy and a shoe wax as a release agent.I bed all my rifles this way and they all get excellent groups.
This is very interesting. Can you explain the process a little more? Exactly how much do you bed and do you hog out any material? Do you set the action back in the stock and tighten down the action screws?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

The lug channel on those stocks seem to be quite large anyway,so I see no need to remove any material.In fact I don't remove any material on my wood stocks either.Just put release agent on the metal around area of contact,fill lug channel 1/2 full of epoxy,put rifle back together and tighten action screws till snug.I've been doing this to my rifles for fifteen years,it's easy and it works.