Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sendero barrel vs. custom barrels... worth the upgrade $ ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

There are few

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
I'm not too sure how people are getting there info whether custom barrels are more accurate than sendero barrels. My sendero sfII shoots in the .2's consistently with berger vld's. My buddy's shoots in the .3's. How much better than that can you get for a $1000.00 gun. A barrel and chamber can get close to that.

and too far in between. For $1000 it's owesome. For a strange reason people/rifles always shoot better while in the pub. Put them on the line and for some strange unexplicable reason they can't produce the same magic groups ever again.

Peter
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Lightvarmint

My .02.

Shoot both barrels 500 times and then video them. You will be surprised that any barrel that is fire-cracked (both will be) will shoot well for a while. They do!

We have been randomly playing around with factory Remington rilfes for a couple of years. It started out as an attempt to see how thriftly we could get satisfactory performance. So far we have tuned new ones and used ones. To date, each and every one shot under .3 using tuned factory ammo. The only thing we did to the ammo was change the seating depth and boy what insight it was.

Using handloads with the sendero rifles, we got all the senderos under .2 except for one finnicky used one that remained stubborn at .375 (rifle bought used and had an unknown number of shots down the tube).

The point is if you are going to compete against fellow shooters that are using custom barrels, then you probably need one to stay competitive. However, if you are hunting and you are the adventurous type, you could tune a sendero to shoot better than most shooters are capable of shooting. Not to mention saving some bucks for gas and to go on some exclusive hunts.

All my guns are custom guns with custom barrels........... Except for one. It is a 24" Sendero Special 300 win mag with a muzzle brake that cost under $600.

Had I known that the Senderos would shoot so good when properly tuned ammo is used, I could have saved myself:

$12,000 on custom barrels alone.

$16,000+ on four custom long range rifles.

$7500 on scopes

I have probably spent way over 40K designing cases and generally tinkering around with stuff trying to squeeze all the juice out of cartridges and custom offerings in the last six years. If I could keep the knowledge I have and then hit rewind, I would buy factory senderos and bed them followed by good load developemnt and then go hunting.

Now, if you want a switch-barrelled gun then going with the custom action is a must. But after you factor in the cost of a custom barrel, chamer, crown and barrel threading, then you could have bought almost another sendero.

Lastly, if you are desiring a case that the remington action does not offer a bolt size to fit, then go the custom route. And, if you go the custom route, get a custom action that is more than just a remington clone that accepts remington parts. Get one that has some mass to it (A Bat would be my choice) and that is a custom action from the ground up. Also, if you decide to use a bullet that a sendero twist will not stabilize, then go the custom route as well.

But, I did have a good time tinkering with all that stuff.

James
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Hmmmmm very interesting post - thanks a lot for stuff to think over

Starkville, MS
Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABR13L View Post
jpruitt, where are you in MS man? I looked on the map and it said you were near Starkville too... is that right or is the map bugged?
Gabe...... I am in Starkville also!!!!!!! We should get together and grab some coffee or something and maybe do some shooting some time... Jim
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

Yeh man, I posted on your "Member Introductions" thread ;) holler back there

Starkville, MS
Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

The only way my new SFII 7Rem Mag will put Bergers in .2s is if I start measuring my group size in feet!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
The only way my new SFII 7Rem Mag will put Bergers in .2s is if I start measuring my group size in feet!
Switch bullets and change seating depth. Clean the gun and get all the copper out, get the trigger tuned, bed the action, use a mirage shade and install a different scope that is known to be accurate. Do these one at a time and you may find that one helps. There are other things to do as well, but it is after all the above.

James