Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sendero barrel vs. custom barrels... worth the upgrade $ ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Bronze Member

Sendero barrel vs. custom barrels... worth the upgrade $ ??

Being perfectly honest, I have no idea how good factory Sendero barrels are. How much better (if any) are custom barrels (e.g. Lilja, Krieger, etc) than the stock barrels that come on the Senderos? Is it worth the extra money to take off that brand new Sendero factory barrel and put on a custom?

Starkville, MS

Last edited by GABR13L; 03-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

It all deppends how it shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABR13L View Post
Being perfectly honest, I have no idea how good factory Sendero barrels are. How much better (if any) are custom barrels (e.g. Lilja, Krieger, etc) than the stock barrels that come on the Senderos? Is it worth the extra money to take off that brand new Sendero factory barrel and put on a custom?

and what you'r happy with.

Custom barrel, glass bedded, fully trued action with tuned loads using prime quality components/reloading techniques will outshoot out of the box Sendero.

Peter

Last edited by P KUNDA; 03-23-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Bronze Member

right, I understand that of course... but strictly speaking about the barrel component here, I just don't know how much better a custom barrel is compared to the stock Sendero. Do the Senderos come with good barrels or not so much?

Starkville, MS
Old 03-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

i have a rem 700p 300 rum which still has the factory barrel and i have a custom 300wm with a hart barrel both are very accurate the hart barrel a little more so both will hold 1/2 moa or better but the biggest differants between them is how much easyer it is to clean that hart barrel verses the factory barrel a couple of patches of butches in the hart and your done the rem factory barrel will take several patchs then wipe out over night then a few more patchs
Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Ocassionally factory barrels will shoot very tight groups with tailored handloads. Buy a Sendero and just get in some trigger time. Eventually you will decide if a custom barrel is necessary for your needs. It may all depend on what your personal acccuracy criteria is.

I might add that I would not even consider a custom barrel without doing some other basic modifications first (or at the same time). Tuned triggers and quality bedding jobs are the the most basic accuracy modifications that you should consider. A trued action and bolt are a MUST if you are going to invest in a custom barrel.

The benefits of a custom barrel alone could be completely masked by the inherent inaccuracy of a rifle that lacks the basic modifications that would support a math grade barrel.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABR13L View Post
right, I understand that of course... but strictly speaking about the barrel component here, I just don't know how much better a custom barrel is compared to the stock Sendero. Do the Senderos come with good barrels or not so much?
Gabe,

I had a 300 Win. Mag. Sendero and had some problems with it. Come to find out the base mount holes in the action was drilled off center. I put on some Leupold rings and cured my left to right problem but was trying to make it a 1000 yd rifle. All I could get was 15 moa bases in the leupold and it just wasn't enough elevation to get me there. Had a Broughton 5C barrel and a Badger muzzle brake put on it and the base holes fixd with 20 moa seekins bases with Badger rings and I am in fine now. To tell the truth, if I just had the base hole fixed and barrel trued it probably been just fine. The way I looked at it at the time was if I was going to send it off I was going to trick it out some. Never had done anything like that before so what the heck. It's done now and I really like it, so I guess that is what is important anyway. Had Chris Mathews in Missouri to do the job and he done great, would recommend him to anyone. jim
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know how many good gun smiths have told me this after asking them. Which barrel maker makes the best barrel? They all have told me you can get a good one or a bad one from them all. Shoot that Sendero a while and see what it will do. I have seen some that were down right accurate with the right load and a little trigger work. Matter of fact one of my friends was given a brand new 25-06 SS barrel that a guy took off a new Sendero without shooting it and had a custom barrel put on. My friend had a Rem 700 Mag action with a shot out 7mm mag barrel. He had that Sendero barrel put on and chambered for the 257 Weatherby. It turned out to be one very accurate rifle. Many a deer have fallen dead to it's accuracy across the long bean fields of NC.