Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sendero 300WBY or Ultra??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Bronze Member

Sendero 300WBY or Ultra??

I am thinking about buying a new sendero in 300 WBY that I found at my local gun store

Should I buy the 300 WBY or Order one in 300 Ultra???

Pros & Cons
-the Ultra is beltless more accurate
-Wby after proper resizing can be as accurate
-Wby has freebore
-I heard that the Ultra has a lot of freebore
due to remington's lawyers TRUE??
-Ultra is faster
-Wby has norma making it's brass
-Ultra brass is it's weak point
-1000 Yrd guns - hardly hear of 300 Ultra
-1000 Yrd guns - 300 Wby and Improved of some sort are standard

-Sounds like it comes down to speed of the Ultra and the norma brass of the Wby

-I think I can give up some speed for more consistent reloads

-What do you guys think, It's a hard choice just want to pick the right one
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Sendero 300WBY or Ultra??

If it were me, I would go with the ultra. Cheaper brass, cheaper factory loads ect... Also better inherant accuracy, more power, less wind drift, less drop. Dont get excited about the freebore. The freebore in the remington 700 will likley be the same between the 2. Remington rifles acctually has more freebore than weatherby rifles. The reason you dont hear much of the ultra on the 1000 yard scene is time and exposure. It will become one of the .30 standard 30's to beat. I am not knocking the wby either, I happen to like the 300 wby. However, I think it is becoming outdated. Better performance less money. The choice for me would be the ultra. I am not sure what all there is for ultra brass, but if there is nothing premium now, I am sure there soon will be. It is a fast rising star.

[ 06-18-2003: Message edited by: Michael Eichele ]

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

The 1000 yard 10 shot score world record is held with a 300 Ultra.Using Rem brass... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Larry

I will differ with other other posters.

You hit the nail on the head, go for the consistency of the brass versus speed, particularily in a 24-26" barrel. I will always take a cartridge where I do not have to sort 200 cases to get 20-40 match quality cases, when you sort by weight and other parameters. Now in the Sendaros that is really not a major factor, but if you want put a match quality barrel in the same caliber on later, you need to think about that. Right now Remington is at the back of the pack on case quality and life compared to others.

Just because brass is cheaper to start with does not mean it is "cheaper" in the long run, when you have to buy 10 cases to get 2-3 and they only last about 1/3 of the time of the Norma and other better quality brass. That is not cheaper! Personally I do not like to waste my time constantly trying to find match quality cases for my 1k and LR guns.

Belts have nothing to do with accuracy and you just have to know how to adjust your dies.

There is no better inherent accuracy between the two cartridges, both are equally accurate in similar guns. Both can be made to shoot equally well but one requires more work on cases. However, I could also make an arguement that the wtby is the more efficiant case and as such will lend itself to better accuracy with all other things being equal.

As for the 300 ultra being a rising star in 1k, I doubt it very seriously until someone besides Remington starts making match quality cases. Even a blind hog can find an acorn now and then, but I do not want to depend on him. You can make a gun work with Rem cases but you spend all your time on cases. Too much work for cases when better cases are out there to start with.

Just my opinion and most other 1k shooters agree, but not all and if case sorting makes someones day, then go with Rem cases.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:54 AM

Larry,
I totally agree with BH , I personally have shot a 300wby at 1k matches and hunted with one for years. We currently have a 300wby sendaro within our hunting set up , that we turn to quite often. Quite honestly the rifle is 100%, we have taken every animal that we have ever attempted to take with it out to 925 yrds.
The 300wby is not gonna pound ya to death at the bench like a RUM will.
I believe if your gonna be shootin game at greater distances the RUM is the way to go but if your gonna hug the 1k mark the wby would be my choice. All in all it comes down to what you want nobody can make the final decision but you!!!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Oh Yeah if ya go with the wby and your not happy you could always throw a longer tube on it and go with the RUM later, or run a reamer through it.

[ 06-19-2003: Message edited by: 338-378 ]
Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

I was able to get only 2 lots that varied by 1/2% in weight across them from my bag of 100 300RUM brass (remington). I'd say that's pretty good so far, not to mention I havn't found a single bad primer pocket yet and I have worked with 60 of the cases at this point. The variance in length was no more than .005" across the lot as well.

After fireforming and expander mandrel...The neck thickness only varied by an occasional .0004",...once again, on a limited basis. I must have either gotten the best brass they ever made, or the brass is improving. I'm not saying yall are incorrect,...it WAS NOT the brass I wanted (I never wanted remington as a first choice in anything),...but it was all that was available in bulk and I wanted the 300rum caliber, so I had to go that route.

Thickness was right at .015"-.0146" +/-. That leaves plenty of turn down room to make perfect necks at .014". It's not Lapua,...but I'll take it for now. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
-

338-378, how do you feel the RUM compares to the Hart (.30 cal of course) with reguards to paper and hunting? Either one better or is this a ford/chevy thing?

thanks

[ 06-19-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

[ 06-19-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]
Old 06-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

Go with the 300 RUM and don't look back. Check out what some of the others are achieving with the 300 RUM, some nice custom wildcats can be built off of it as well.

Frank D