close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 254
Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

Guys just got done tweaking out my KM 280AI it has never been fired, and I wanted to know everyones thoughts on breaking my barrel in with regular 280REM rounds as they are cheaper , and I can fire form brass at the same time , should I expect or will there be any issues by breaking my barrel in this way , I mean I am only shooting 1 then cleaning.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
    SPONSOR
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: on the Southern Plains
    Posts: 1,873
    Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

    Go down to the "GUNSMITHING" section and read the thread titled ".280A.I. Concerns".
    __________________
    "Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face. 1993 graduate Montgomery Community College 2yr. gunsmithing program
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,236
    Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

    I've broken in 3 Ackleys while forming brass...Just be sure to shoot about 5, then let it cool down. Repeat for about 50 rounds. I usually make it an afternoon and take a few rifles and rotate them out so I keep something on the bench for shooting.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM
    SPONSOR
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: on the Southern Plains
    Posts: 1,873
    Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
    I've broken in 3 Ackleys while forming brass...Just be sure to shoot about 5, then let it cool down. Repeat for about 50 rounds. I usually make it an afternoon and take a few rifles and rotate them out so I keep something on the bench for shooting.
    Are those factory barrels or custom?
    __________________
    "Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face. 1993 graduate Montgomery Community College 2yr. gunsmithing program
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,236
    Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
    Are those factory barrels or custom?
    New factory barrels that have been rechambered to Ackley calibers.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Location: Alberta Canada
    Posts: 254
    Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

    Hey guys I am a little confused now after all the reading , as some say one thing ,and others say another, and now on top of it I have bought a Cooper 280 AI as well. So If I get the jist of things I will have to buy 2 sets of dies , and I cannot fire form 280 REM in the Kimber but I can fire form in the Cooper . The Nosler brass cannot be used in the Cooper but I can use in the Kimber, and Nosler loaded ammo can be used in both rifles. Boy Nosler created a mess in my opinion. Now I just need to find out who makes what dies ,and where to get them , I have a set of Hornady custom grade dies but I just have to find out what chamber they are for . Way to much work!!!!
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,236
    Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramrod79 View Post
    Hey guys I am a little confused now after all the reading , as some say one thing ,and others say another, and now on top of it I have bought a Cooper 280 AI as well. So If I get the jist of things I will have to buy 2 sets of dies , and I cannot fire form 280 REM in the Kimber but I can fire form in the Cooper . The Nosler brass cannot be used in the Cooper but I can use in the Kimber, and Nosler loaded ammo can be used in both rifles. Boy Nosler created a mess in my opinion. Now I just need to find out who makes what dies ,and where to get them , I have a set of Hornady custom grade dies but I just have to find out what chamber they are for . Way to much work!!!!
    Actually, Remington created the mess...Remington's custom shop started chambering rifles with a .014" shorter shoulder height based on a screw-up when they ordrered the reamer (that's what I was told), and that's where all the issues came from. And then somehow Nosler got involved in the screw-up, then they used that chambering for their SAAMI spec design, then blah blah blah, all this bullcrap later....And we're at where we're at now.

    Personally, if you're unsure which chamber you have for both, go buy a bag of 20 .280 Remington brass. Load 10 for each gun. Shoot the 20 brass, and keep them seperate from each other. Then measure headspacing of the fired brass, and you will have your answer.

    Or you can take both of your rifles to a competent gunsmith and have him check the chamber headspacing. If they come out the same, then you're good to go to buy Nosler .280 AI brass, and just FL size them each time, so it won't matter.

    But I also feel your pain of having multiple rifles in the same caliber. Which is why I keep seperate brass seperate for different rifles. And I write on the reloading label which rifle the brass was shot out of, so I know which is which. Plus, that lets me know which rilfe likes what load, so I makes me a (sort-of) load log book.

    Sounds like a pain in the ass, but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it.

    Plus, each rifle will like different loads, so I'd keep those brass seperate anyway, after fire-forming.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC