Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

Guys just got done tweaking out my KM 280AI it has never been fired, and I wanted to know everyones thoughts on breaking my barrel in with regular 280REM rounds as they are cheaper , and I can fire form brass at the same time , should I expect or will there be any issues by breaking my barrel in this way , I mean I am only shooting 1 then cleaning.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Semi Custom Kimber Montana 280AI

Go down to the "GUNSMITHING" section and read the thread titled ".280A.I. Concerns".
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

I've broken in 3 Ackleys while forming brass...Just be sure to shoot about 5, then let it cool down. Repeat for about 50 rounds. I usually make it an afternoon and take a few rifles and rotate them out so I keep something on the bench for shooting.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've broken in 3 Ackleys while forming brass...Just be sure to shoot about 5, then let it cool down. Repeat for about 50 rounds. I usually make it an afternoon and take a few rifles and rotate them out so I keep something on the bench for shooting.
Are those factory barrels or custom?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Are those factory barrels or custom?
New factory barrels that have been rechambered to Ackley calibers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Hey guys I am a little confused now after all the reading , as some say one thing ,and others say another, and now on top of it I have bought a Cooper 280 AI as well. So If I get the jist of things I will have to buy 2 sets of dies , and I cannot fire form 280 REM in the Kimber but I can fire form in the Cooper . The Nosler brass cannot be used in the Cooper but I can use in the Kimber, and Nosler loaded ammo can be used in both rifles. Boy Nosler created a mess in my opinion. Now I just need to find out who makes what dies ,and where to get them , I have a set of Hornady custom grade dies but I just have to find out what chamber they are for . Way to much work!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod79 View Post
Hey guys I am a little confused now after all the reading , as some say one thing ,and others say another, and now on top of it I have bought a Cooper 280 AI as well. So If I get the jist of things I will have to buy 2 sets of dies , and I cannot fire form 280 REM in the Kimber but I can fire form in the Cooper . The Nosler brass cannot be used in the Cooper but I can use in the Kimber, and Nosler loaded ammo can be used in both rifles. Boy Nosler created a mess in my opinion. Now I just need to find out who makes what dies ,and where to get them , I have a set of Hornady custom grade dies but I just have to find out what chamber they are for . Way to much work!!!!
Actually, Remington created the mess...Remington's custom shop started chambering rifles with a .014" shorter shoulder height based on a screw-up when they ordrered the reamer (that's what I was told), and that's where all the issues came from. And then somehow Nosler got involved in the screw-up, then they used that chambering for their SAAMI spec design, then blah blah blah, all this bullcrap later....And we're at where we're at now.

Personally, if you're unsure which chamber you have for both, go buy a bag of 20 .280 Remington brass. Load 10 for each gun. Shoot the 20 brass, and keep them seperate from each other. Then measure headspacing of the fired brass, and you will have your answer.

Or you can take both of your rifles to a competent gunsmith and have him check the chamber headspacing. If they come out the same, then you're good to go to buy Nosler .280 AI brass, and just FL size them each time, so it won't matter.

But I also feel your pain of having multiple rifles in the same caliber. Which is why I keep seperate brass seperate for different rifles. And I write on the reloading label which rifle the brass was shot out of, so I know which is which. Plus, that lets me know which rilfe likes what load, so I makes me a (sort-of) load log book.

Sounds like a pain in the ass, but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it.

Plus, each rifle will like different loads, so I'd keep those brass seperate anyway, after fire-forming.

Quote: