Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Semi-custom factory rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM

Semi-custom factory rifles?

I did some searching online today looking for 280AI rifle options. I ran across the Nosler and Cooper Arms rifles specifically which appear to be very good rifles at reasonable prices.

Who else makes good semi-custom or premium rifles in the $1500 to $2,000 range that are top quality hunting rifles? Or, am I better off just sending a stock and barreled action off to someone like Hart or Pac-Nor?

Best Regards,
Sid
Old 07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Sned it off

If it were me I would send it to gunsmith and get what you want. I am not saying the Copper or Nosler are not good guns..I just prefer haviung it built the way i want it.

Time Line--If you want it ASAP you might be better off just buying a off the shelf.

Willys
Old 07-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Cooper Firearms

At $1595 MSRP, it's hard to come close to the same price with a true custom rifle. A Stiller action alone will cost $700, add $540 for a McMillan Hunters Edge stock, ~$350 for the barrel plus all the extra's for chambering and smaller parts and labor.

I've read many good things about the Cooper Arms rifles so, it looks attractive to me. If I wanted something really different then what was already built, I could see the extra money being well spent though.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

A Cooper Jackson Hunter in .280 AI is my next purchase. I've never shot one, but from what I hear they are pretty awesome rifles. Another option would be a HS Precision, but they are more money then the Cooper.

But, if I had a donor action laying around, I would just do a custom.

I thought the Noslers only came in WSM's?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Nosler has a special edition in 280AI that is real spendy. Their base rifles currently only come in the WSM's and 7-08 and 308.

Nosler: bullets, ammunition, rifles, brass, and reloading data.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Cooper Firearms

At $1595 MSRP, it's hard to come close to the same price with a true custom rifle. A Stiller action alone will cost $700, add $540 for a McMillan Hunters Edge stock, ~$350 for the barrel plus all the extra's for chambering and smaller parts and labor.

I've read many good things about the Cooper Arms rifles so, it looks attractive to me. If I wanted something really different then what was already built, I could see the extra money being well spent though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparing stiller actions ,mcmillan stocks ,and $350 barrel to a cooper sure ain't comparing apples to apples !
Aren't all coopers single shots ?
If you like nice wood etc. coopers will be appealing.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

There is nothing wrong with a trued remmy or a Savage action with a shillen barrel.