Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Seeking information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 11:24 PM

Seeking information

I'm new to this site and am looking for advise. I currently own a .308 Kimber Montanna,a .300WSM Kimber Classic and an "older" .300 Win.Mag Remington Sendero. I am interested in becoming proficient at long range hunting and am considering a Remington 40X in .300 RUM. Am I better off investing more money in the Sendero by way of truing the action,replacing the trigger and stock, etc. or should I just order the 40X ?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Seeking information

Pick a good gunsmith and have that .300 win mag decked out the way you want it. The 40x is nice, but the Sendero can be made out better.
Oh, and my advice is to stay away from the 7 or 300 Ultras. Too much for too little returns. Check out what my dirty old 300 win mag did to an elk at long range on 820 yard cow elk pics under this same heading.
It did that much damage at just shy of 1/2 mile with 20 grains less powder than an Ultra, and double the barrel life i.e. more practice shots!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Goodgrouper,

Scorning the big cases [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]!!!

I thought I like you man [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!! Hell of a job on that cow by the way, I guess youdo not NEED a RUM for long range shooting.

Congrats!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lizard,

Welcome to LRH.

Goodgrouper is right, get something that is consistant and easy to load and shoot. The 300 Win is a great round for this.

Get a quality rifle and shoot the hell out of it until its time for a new barrel, by then you will have enough experience to know if you may want more performance or range.

Again I second, practice is key.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2005, 12:09 AM

Goodgrouper--- Thanks for the suggestions.I'm from the "upstate" area of N.Y. and have to do a little research to find a good gunsmith, preferably someone locally. I've visited this site numerous times over the last few months and if anything am more confused now than ever. I had always heard that the 40X was the easier way to go, but easier is rarely better. The Sendero currently has a 4.5 x 14 VariX lll on it. Do you feel that this is adequate or should I upgrade the scope too? I'm inclined to agree with you on the calibre too. The .300RUM was reccommended by a local retailer that I've known/used for years.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

May I suggest letting Fiftydriver take care of you? I have been conversing with him for awhile now, and he will have that Sendero shooting circles around that Remington custom shop gunsmith's rifle.
It is very easy shipping rifles via Fed Ex and all you need is a cheap gun case and the box it comes in!
As far as the scope goes, that is the exact same scope that I shot the cow with. It has no fancy reticles, and no target turrets. I just go through the terrible agony of unscrewing the adjustment cap, and twisting the dial with my trusty nickel! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Not tough. Great scope. I wish they still made it.

I work in a gunshop myself, and I'm always amazed at how fast the newer employees recommend the Ultra's because most of them have never shot one, never owned one, and never tinkered with them. If the occasional employee has shot one, he is quick to point out how much cooler they are than anything else and yet, they haven't shot anything ELSE so how would they know! Take it from a guy who has shot almost all the 30 caliber rounds, and who has put in excess of 1300 rounds through the .300 win mag, most game can't tell the difference. So why make it hard on your shoulder and your barrel. In all reality, I could have killed that cow and many others just fine with a .30-06! I just don't own a 30-06. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good shooting!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

Lizard, That Leupold scope can also be sent to the factory for a reticle change. If you get used to a MilDot reticle, you can use it for a rangefinder and a hold over reticle to shoot out to at least 600+ yds. It sounds like it will be awhile before you need more range than that. Just an idea! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]