Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Seeking accuracy and recoil reduction in 7mm-08 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Seeking accuracy and recoil reduction in 7mm-08 rifle

I would swap the stock out to a laminate or a B&C duramaxx or medalist. Put a varmint contour barrel on and add a muzzle break a long with shooting 120gr bullets it will bring it down to almost 204 recoil.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinarms View Post
I would swap the stock out to a laminate or a B&C duramaxx or medalist. Put a varmint contour barrel on and add a muzzle break a long with shooting 120gr bullets it will bring it down to almost 204 recoil.
That would be a welcome change. I'm sure the brake would have a big impact but I'm not sure I want the increase in noise.

From the replies it sounds like I'm on the right track; I'll report on the changes as I go. I'm going to order a barrel from Sharp Shooter Supply and take it from there.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Bronze Member

Hey there again.
Well I have to agree with you that the 24-26" barrel is just about optimum for the the vast majority of calibers.
I have not had that much experience reloading with the 7mm08 I used to have a x-bolt chambered in that a few years back before I really got in to long range.
It was a good round but I didnt care for the gun its self.

But for long range I would think you would be able to obtain good results with powders like RL-17 and H4350 pushing 135gr-140gr MKs or Berger VLDs.
as long as you keep it under 48grs of powder I dont think it would over pressure.

as for recoil reduction the grid to fit pachmyr recoil pads work pretty good does hell on sanding disk tho.
making the gun heavier with a new stock is not a bad idea
If you want further reduction other than a muzzle brake a moderator will work be easier on the ears to but its a pain to get one.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:51 AM

HI Ian,

A moderator? That's a term I haven't heard before. Do you mean a silencer?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefront View Post
HI Ian,

A moderator? That's a term I haven't heard before. Do you mean a silencer?
Yes I mean a silencer but I try and avoid calling them that tho.
over the years Ive heard them called at least 20 different things just prefer to call them moderators..believe me you are not the first person to ask me what that was. haha.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Understood... I just had to get hip to the lingo.

So a moderator reduces recoil? I had no idear.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Bronze Member

Yep they reduce recoil well their adding weight at the end and preventing gases from escaping.
I personally would rather have one over a muzzle brake my ear drums have been ruptured before so I try to stay away from muzzle brakes and comps.
the muzzle brake is one of the reasons I did not like the x bolt I had in 7mm08.
So food for thought I guess.
If you decide you want to get one I would recommend not getting one made with inconel unless you want to put it on a full auto gun some time in the future you will not make it hot enough to justify the use of that alloy and it will only be more expensive than they already are.