Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sectioned Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2002, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Sectioned Bullets

I cut a few bullets for a post on another site and thought I'd display them here also.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...34573044qrUUwH

The lead all appears to be about the same hardness but the jackets seemingly are not the same. The Scirocco and Combined Technologies BT jakets seemed much harder than the others.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sectioned Bullets

Very interested to hear how you did the sectioning. I have seen some similar sectioned bullets that were simply ground away on a belt sander.
How come some of the lower left heels are slightly rounded?
Great photos, how did you take them?
Thanks for some interesting stuff.
ian
Old 04-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sectioned Bullets

Ian

I needed to hold the bullets to cut them in half with a hacksaw. Some of the bullets rotated a bit before they accepted the hacksaw blade cut, this rotation scuffed the bases on some.

I made a jig from a block of wood and inserted the bullets point first into this drilled hole for the initial cut/slice. I then used an indentation on the outside of the block to hold them on the belt sander. I also tried to use a grinding wheel with a jig but the temperature of the jacket against the wheel melted the lead and ruined any possibility of getting a true representation of the lead to jacket bond.

All-in-all a very interesting time, with the exception of a few cuts, scrapes and a burn from some lead it went very well.

(It's a lot more fun to shoot them than cut them in half.)

For the image(s) I placed the examples (bullets) directly on a flatbed scanner.