Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

sectional density & stopping power ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

sectional density & stopping power ?

So how much does Sectional density come into play when it comes to delivering energy on target?

Specifically a 277 cal 160gr Partition has an S.D. of .298
A 30 cal 165gr partition has an S.D. of .248
(Just for referance, for a 30 cal bullet to get an S.D. of 290ish its gotta weigh about 190gr)
So if a 160gr bullet is launched out of my 270wsm @ about 2850
& a 165gr bullet is launched out of my 30-06 @ about 2850, wich bullet has more potential for laying the smack down on "X" critter?
The 5 grain heavier 30, or the higher s.d. 270?

I ask this, Not to start any arguements, but to help me decide wich Cal/cartrige to buy next. I already have a Model-70, 270 wsm with an unbelivably scary accurate 140 Accubond load. I'm not gonna swich from it.
I already have an -06 that I shoot 165's & 180's out of. Plus, I just parted company with my 300 Wby, cause I'm REALLY wanting a 300 wsm for the simple fact that its Very high performance for very little cost. (60ish gr of powder vs 80ish, less expensive brass etc over the Wby) for 5-600yds on Bear, & Elk sized critters.
Then someone just HAD to post a BLR in 270 wsm in the classifides, & it got me wondering...... Why not have two 270 wsm's. One for deer & smaller critters with the 140's, & one for Elk,& bear with the 160's out to 5-600 yds..... So now I have a moral delima. I'm a 277, & 30 cal freak, & personally have no use for 7mm's so if we could avoid that whole topic that would be nice. (no offence meant guys, its just a personal preferance thing)
In the end ill probably end up with the 300 wsm in another Model-70 Winchester, cause that's just me. But it does make for an interesting technical discussion.
What say you....?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: sectional density & stopping power ?

Here's some light reading that may offer you some help...or at least...offer you some scientific criteria in selecting your next round.

Terminal Ballistics

Wayne
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

If you scroll down the study a fair bit...you'll see several .308 rounds compared...it is interesting that the 180 gr. Swift A-Frame in the .30-06, outperforms the .300 WM 200 gr. Swift A-Frame. It appears that bullet design / construction has a lot to do with terminal performance versus bore size and/or speed. The caveat being....it appears that the .375 H&H magnum had the best penetration performance of the rounds tested.

Perhaps the .375 Ruger might be just what fills your need....this is a very interesting round, if you want to keep your rifle in the .30-06 length:

Hornady & Ruger Take On The .375

Wayne
Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senderofan View Post
Here's some light reading that may offer you some help...or at least...offer you some scientific criteria in selecting your next round.

Terminal Ballistics

Wayne
Ohhh my head hurts now.... But that was informative for sure. Results were not exactly what I thought they would be. But in some cases very simmilar. Hmmm. Much to ponder...

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

My thoughts for what their worth:
I like SD within it's limits. I believe it's a good indicator to predict penetration in similar bullets, in similar situations. I don't own a 270 I'd use the 160, When I shoot my 30 calibers I like bullets 200 and up. My experience I prefer SD's of about .3.
Energy, momentum or something is a factor in lethality, but the variables will always make this elusive to establish. In addition it would take a pretty good number of controlled kills to be conclusive.
My first experiences were with a 30-06. It came with factory Remington 220 RN. I also got a can of surplus military AP ammo. Both would penetrate, both were lethal, but to my eye the 220 expanding was more "decisive". The statute of limitations is past, but I won't boor you with details, of why I don't like the "harder" type bullets.
SD of expanding bullets change on impact, with the newer bonded bullets it's often advised to use a step lighter than usual. I feel with that larger frontal area maintained a step heavier is a better way to go. Example the old 210 338 Partitions in my experience out penetrate the 225 Accubond. I've never seen a deer stop the 210, but have recovered the 225. We shot the 30 caliber 180 Scirrocco into a lot of old inedible hog meat and bone. We could never destroy one, but we could never get much penetration either. It proved so in the field as well. In the choice you are making I believe the 160 .270 will out penetrate the 165 .30 which in my mind makes it a better choice.
Wound channels are both width and length, exit holes are good. If I was going to shoot 160 bullets the 270 is what I'd pick. 180 in 7mm, and 200 up in 30, and so on. Bryan Litz has a pretty good article on why heavier 30 caliber bullets, or something like it.
I know this will be a Taste Great, Less Filling kind of thread, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senderofan View Post
If you scroll down the study a fair bit...you'll see several .308 rounds compared...it is interesting that the 180 gr. Swift A-Frame in the .30-06, outperforms the .300 WM 200 gr. Swift A-Frame. It appears that bullet design / construction has a lot to do with terminal performance versus bore size and/or speed. The caveat being....it appears that the .375 H&H magnum had the best penetration performance of the rounds tested.

Perhaps the .375 Ruger might be just what fills your need....this is a very interesting round, if you want to keep your rifle in the .30-06 length:

Hornady & Ruger Take On The .375

Wayne
Oh, I'm not building anything, I'm simply adding to the collection.
Ill keep my -06, & my 270wsm, & add another rifle, most likely a 300wsm, to the bunch.
It may not be a 1k Elk hammer, but certainly good enough for 5-600 yds. wich is this next rifles intended use.
Someday, when I have $ again I'm going to start talking seriously to the great sponsors & smiths here at LRH for a 300RUM build, or an Edge build, But untill I have cash in hand, I'm gonna have to make the most of what I have.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Oh, I'm not building anything, I'm simply adding to the collection.
Ill keep my -06, & my 270wsm, & add another rifle, most likely a 300wsm, to the bunch.
It may not be a 1k Elk hammer, but certainly good enough for 5-600 yds. wich is this next rifles intended use.
Someday, when I have $ again I'm going to start talking seriously to the great sponsors & smiths here at LRH for a 300RUM build, or an Edge build, But untill I have cash in hand, I'm gonna have to make the most of what I have.
I'm having my "Elk Hammer" being built right now. I have a long action Remington Sendero being converted to a .338 Sin. It really isn't a huge money pit....and the round is designed to fit in most long action rifle magazines. It is designed for 225-250gr. bullets in a 26" barrel. Which seems to be plenty medicine for any North American game at the ranges you list. And perform nearly as well as a .338 Edge....but with better brass and slightly less powder.

Good Luck with your quest...Many have / or are on a similar one.

Wayne