Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Scope height measurement with a tapered base, where?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Gold Member
Re: Scope height measurement with a tapered base, where?

In my opinion all external ballistics measurements should be made from the rifles muzzle. That's the point where the bullet starts to drop, and that's the point where the computations for atmospheric drag begin to be applied in external ballistics programs. For the purposes of determining the bullet trajectory relative to the line of sight all ballistics programs I know of are doing their calculations relative to the muzzle, and (in my opinion) the proper scope height to use is the line of sight from the optical center of the objective lens to the target center which is at the rifles zero distance. That distance can be anything the shooter chooses. The "scope height" is the vertical distance between that line of sight and the point where the centerline of the rifles bore intersects the plane of the crown.

A wedged base really has nothing to do with it as that may be canceled by an offset reticle in the scope. The line of sight does not have to be parallel to the optical or mechanical centerline of the the scope, but the optical centerline and the line of sight to the zero target will intersect within the objective lens. The scopes tube will normally be centered on the optical centerline but that's up to the scope's mechanical designer, not any law of optics.

Unread 03-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Silver Member
Re: Scope height measurement with a tapered base, where?

Basically what I was trying to say

You have to measure somewhere to have the input into the program, so I was just stating where I standardized on. I didn't say that I was measuring on the reticle, but rather trying to measure on the centerline of the line of sight.

Do whatever you want - it all still has to be shot out anyway.