Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

scope height to bore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

scope height to bore

when ordering a custom turret, they ask for height of scope above bore, how do you measure this and how critical is it?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: scope height to bore

very important, i prefere to find the specs on my mounts and scope rings, you can also measure from the bottom of your barrel to the top of your scope at the bell subtract the radius of each and there you have your scope hieght. it's usually 1.5-1.8 on a bolt gun
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Ive heard of another way. Take you caliper and get the width of bolt, width of scope housing and distance between the two. Take the distance between the two plus half the bolt plus half the scope and there u have it.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

yea that would work too
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

Well im not sure how accurate but what I did was pull my bolt back till even with the end of scope measure frome center of bolt to top of scope with calipers. Subtract half the radius of the scope and there ya have it..... Get ya within a couple thou.....basically what timmy said:-)