Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Schneider Rifle Barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Schneider Rifle Barrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popapi View Post
Whom ever you HEARD from that Schneiders barrels wear OUT TWICE as fast as others ask them how so, and are they shooting Schneiders barrels TWICE as much............. :
Barrel life's typically measured in how many rounds it goes through before accuracy degrades to a noticable point. Those of us who shoot better will detect accuracy degradation faster than the less skilled ones. How may time units between the first and last shot if it's life doesn't matter. Rapid fire with max loads may wear it out faster; in fewer rounds. Which is what I'm referring to; rounds fired not days/weeks/months/years owned.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
considering that the vast majority of stainless barrels are cut from 416 stainless steel (there are a small few that are using 17PH4 rearc melt and 15-5 [not sure about the complete alloy number on the 15-5]). The only real difference in the 416 steel used is the sulphur content. The more sulphur; the easier it is to machine. But you don't want a lot of sulphur in a gun barrel. I have not seen a Schneider barrel in quite a few years, and I doubt that Mr. Schneider uses an alloy with a lot of sulphur in the blend. He probably wouldn't tell us anyway! I never saw a Schnieder barrel pit much, and this tells me he uses a low sulphur steel. Schnieder does a fine barrel!
gary
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Barrel life's typically measured in how many rounds it goes through before accuracy degrades to a noticable point. Those of us who shoot better will detect accuracy degradation faster than the less skilled ones. How may time units between the first and last shot if it's life doesn't matter. Rapid fire with max loads may wear it out faster; in fewer rounds. Which is what I'm referring to; rounds fired not days/weeks/months/years owned.
I know exactly what your refering to, and I'd BET the farm if one shot Gary's tubes along side of a Obey, Rock, Brux, Pederson, Lilja, Pacnor, Hart, Bartlein, etc same number of times and loads the Schneider WOULDN'T wear out TWICE as fast, is what I'm refering to ;-) .
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

I used on off the Back of the USS Duluth coming home from Iraq it was on a M40a4 sniper rifle that the team leader let me shoot and taught me some tricks on in return for me saving one of his guys from getting NJP'ed over something dumb. In any event they are wicked accurate and from what i understand you almost couldn't shoot one out if your tried. I know i fed it 30 rounds as fast as I could move the bolt. The Marine Corps uses them for a reason.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I used on off the Back of the USS Duluth coming home from Iraq it was on a M40a4 sniper rifle that the team leader let me shoot and taught me some tricks on in return for me saving one of his guys from getting NJP'ed over something dumb. In any event they are wicked accurate and from what i understand you almost couldn't shoot one out if your tried. I know i fed it 30 rounds as fast as I could move the bolt. The Marine Corps uses them for a reason.
WELL said Joe and THANKS for ALL you and the Guys do!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

All I can say is that most folks shooting Schneider barrels (or any other make for that matter) don't shoot them accurate enough to tell when their accuracy drops off by 25%. When new and with good bullets loaded into properly readied cases of 30 caliber or smaller, they'll stay under 1/4th MOA at 100 yards from a good rifle shot in free recoil (untouched except for a finger tip on the trigger). I doubt more than 5% of people shooting them do that well. If one can't shoot a barrel sub 1/4th MOA, they're hard pressed to tell when it opens up to even 3/8ths MOA.

A 1/2 MOA rifle/ammo combination will appear to have twice to three times the barrel life of a 1/4th MOA one. 3/4ths MOA rifle/ammo ones may well seem to last forever.

Last edited by Bart B; 08-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
All I can say is that most folks shooting Schneider barrels (or any other make for that matter) don't shoot them accurate enough to tell when their accuracy drops off by 25%. When new and with good bullets loaded into properly readied cases of 30 caliber or smaller, they'll stay under 1/4th MOA at 100 yards from a good rifle shot in free recoil (untouched except for a finger tip on the trigger). I doubt more than 5% of people shooting them do that well. If one can't shoot a barrel sub 1/4th MOA, they're hard pressed to tell when it opens up to even 3/8ths MOA.

A 1/2 MOA rifle/ammo combination will appear to have twice to three times the barrel life of a 1/4th MOA one. 3/4ths MOA rifle/ammo ones may well seem to last forever.
Interesting post. I think people are too caught up with this idea of BEST I choose XXX brand because it is the best and everything else is junk. When in reality we live in a golden age where we have several high quality options to choose from this goes for barrels, optics, custom actions and even off the shelf rifles.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popapi View Post
WELL said Joe and THANKS for ALL you and the Guys do!!!!!!!
Thank you.

Last edited by joe0121; 08-09-2011 at 08:19 AM.