Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

I have been saying that for a while! I really dont recomend the Scenar for hunting.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Roy
I know this question could cause you great discomfort to answer, but here goes. From your drop value tests at long range what B.C. fits your ballistic program on the 252rbbt Wildcat. G.G. and I would like to know how it would compare to the Scenar. thanks----RHB---Don't worry we'll keep it a secret. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I thought I'd ask you guys for the same thing.

Actually I never got that far. By the time I got the SD down enough that the BC guess woould be accurate I was out of bullets. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'm down to 3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and no rifle to shoot them.

A smith in Rexburg has been going on 2 months in swapping the win bbl for the RUM bbl. When I get it tuned up, I'll get some more of those 250 RBBTS. They were clearly the most accurate of any bullet that I tried.

I can only say that it was easier to get velocity with them and they shot a flatter than the sierra game king. THe SMK didn' t shoot worth squat in that rifle.

Sorry - want me to send these 3 lonely projectiles down that way?
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Roy.
if you wouldn't mind that would be great!!

G.G. and I will set up two chronograghs and give those three pills a little toss down range to see whats what.

E-Mail me at a7mmrhb@netzero.com Thanks a ton Roy

-----RHB-----
Old 03-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Most hollowpoint bullets need hydrolic forces to initiate the nose upset. It looks like your box of papers is dry. I'd bet that you would have had different results if the test medium was laden with water or other fluid.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Roy,

If you would like to, send a 3 250 grain MK's with the Wildcats and we'll run them too! Might as well figure out what their bc is along with the others. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

email an address and they'll be on the way.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I would not be against trying the MK's or the Wildcats. HOwever, Varmint Hunter may have given the answer here. After thinking about that bullet all night, I decided to take some wire cutters and snip the tip of the bullet off and guess what I found.

The entire hollow cavity (which is 3 times bigger than the MK's) was completely stuffed with paper. Somehow, a dry spit wad the size of a pea got rammed into the hollow cavity through the poppy seed-sized hollow point!! THis looks to have stopped the mushrooming effect before it could get started.

So now I'm going to test it again with soaking wet phonebooks at 100 and 1000 yards. I would have started with wet paper in the beginning, but in the past I have had better results at 100 in dry phonebooks because it puts more stress on the bullet and the polymer tipped bonded bullets always held together fine no matter how high the velos were. But I guess these match bullets are a different story-especially at long range. Perhaps they really need the hydraulic factor there to open at this extreme of a range. I will post my results soon......
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.