Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

Here is a pic of a .338 250 grain Lapua Scenar pulled out of newspapers and phonebooks at 980 yards. It left my barrel at 3075 or thereabouts. Obviously not a good game bullet at this range.

Here is how far it went in. Tumbling once inside about 5 inches of paper was very apparent but no mushrooming occured whatsoever!

And here is another one that skimmed the top of the phonebooks and was laying on top of the burm about 20 yards behind the box. Still no mushroom!

Ok, so now to the Accubonds or possibly the MK's. Hope they do a tad bit better!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

If the MK or the Accubond don't work out well, maybe a call to Richard would be in order?

BTW, Nice group on the gong!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

GG,

What gonehuntinagain said.

Get some of the 252 RBBTs. Don't measure or sort them, just shoot 'em. After you see your results, then do your measuring and sorting. Me thinks you'll be supprised.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

168SMK's from a 308 did that to me at 100yds...but in solid packed dirt.

Lotsa bananas...

JB
Old 03-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Roy
I know this question could cause you great discomfort to answer, but here goes. From your drop value tests at long range what B.C. fits your ballistic program on the 252rbbt Wildcat. G.G. and I would like to know how it would compare to the Scenar. thanks----RHB---Don't worry we'll keep it a secret. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

You hit the box at 1000yds+- WOW what else do you expect from a MATCH bullet,if you want a mushroom every time use a bullet that is designed for that.Get Richard to build some bonded bullets for you.They will cost...Jack
Old 03-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Gold Member

I recovered a bunch of 150 gr Nosler Partitions from my 270. I had just as many bananas as I had core separations and perfectly mushroomed bullets. There is no gaurantee with any bullet that all of them will expand perfectly.

I have shot animals with Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Winchester, Remington, Sierra, Barnes, Trophy Bonded, Swift and Federal. I have had several bullets not perform as well as I would have wanted, but only one I would classify as a failure. I still got the deer, but I do not push those bullets to the max anymore.

I must say that I have not shot any deer with SMKs or Berger VLDs, but that is only because I passed on shots I had because I was meat hunting and did not want to blow-up a front shoulder. Instead I shot a pair of deer this year with Barnes again. One at 75 yards and the other a neck shot at 275 yards.

Sorry about the tangent, but bullets fail. Of course, animals "fail" with them too. lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]