Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Saving a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Saving a barrel

Hello,

I have a rifle that I shoot quite a bit during the summer. It's a custom 7mm rem mag. The action is a stainless M70 classic. The barrel is a 26" Douglas premium. It sits in a McMillan A3.

Anyways, I have around 800 rounds through it. Looking down the barrel, the leading edges of the rifling look nice and square still. When cleaning it, the rod has quite a bit of resistance at first, then it smoothes out for the rest of the barrel. I'd say that it's the first inch or so.

My accuracy isn't what it used to be. Is it time for a new barrel, or can I do something to smooth it out and get next summer out of it?

Thanks for your time, Eric

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Saving a barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Hello,

I have a rifle that I shoot quite a bit during the summer. It's a custom 7mm rem mag. The action is a stainless M70 classic. The barrel is a 26" Douglas premium. It sits in a McMillan A3.

Anyways, I have around 800 rounds through it. Looking down the barrel, the leading edges of the rifling look nice and square still. When cleaning it, the rod has quite a bit of resistance at first, then it smoothes out for the rest of the barrel. I'd say that it's the first inch or so.

My accuracy isn't what it used to be. Is it time for a new barrel, or can I do something to smooth it out and get next summer out of it?

Thanks for your time, Eric
This sounds like carbon and/or copper fouling and can be removed.

Start cleaning with a strong solvent Like Sweets (I prefer Butches bore shine) and with
the muzzle at a good down angle (I dont like getting the solvent in the action) and give
the bore a good brushing, then let it set for 10 or 15 minutes.

Push a patch through the bore and repeat the process until the dry patch feels smooth
all the way down the bore.

The throat area get the most fouled and sometimes needs extra cleaning.

With only 800 rounds through the barrel it should be fine.

After a bare metal cleaning use a swab with a mild solvent (Like Hoppe's #9 and do a final cleaning to remove any of the strong solvent and a lightly oiled patch to protect the bore
until you shoot it.

This process may change your zero for a few shots until it gets seasoned so don't worry,
and most of the time it improves the accuracy.

There are carbon solvents but I have never needed to try them.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

I have always cleaned with Wipeout. I've been soaking it overnight, then patching it out in the morning 'til the patches are clean.

I will try some Butches bore shine and try the method you mentioned. Hopefully it will help out.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

You have probably got layers of carbon then copper, carbon then copper etc in the throat and first inch or two.

First you need to use a carbon remover, (Slip 2000, Montana Extreme, Butchs etc) then work the layers out.

I would use a good hard bristle brush such as the Kleen Bore or Montana Exreme, as the copper cleaners will eat up a bronze brush.

You can also use ISSO paster on a bristle brush or patch wrapped jab to work it out.

it will not be easy or quick normally.

Montana Extreme Copper Creme also works really well for that and Sinclair sells the right brushes.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...r_Cream___6_oz

BH
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Will the Butches Bore Shine work to remove the carbon and copper??
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

If the copper remover doesn't smooth it up a bit I would JB the barrel.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Very common what you are seeing or rather feeling. Do not waste you time with anything but Iosso. Get the brush they have as well, follow instructions and in 10 minutes you will have a clean tube.