Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage vs Remington vs tikka vs browning vs custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage vs Remington vs tikka vs browning vs custom

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5-284 that is as accurate as my custom 6.5-284 producing consistent .25 MOA at 500 yards. Excellent trigger. I have had very good luck with Savages owning a 260 LRP, predator 22-250, and a 111FCP in 338. All of them are superbly accurate and great value for the $$$. No problems.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

From my perspective, guns and tools are similar. I've always desired a complete tool box with all top end tools like Snap-On and Starrett and I have a good selection, not that I don't want some more....

Guns are like that too. I have a nice selection/collection but I'd like some more.

The tools and guns are only limited by the financial ability.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

id pick a tikka or remington in your suggestions provided, but if it were me, id get an interarms mauser or something similar like charles daly, parker hale, or remington 798
Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Gold Member

A custom rifle is by far the better choice for accuracy, ease of cleaning, etc and that would be built on a custom action or at a minimum a 700 action. Price will run 1500- 3000.00 If it's a light weight rifle that shoots well I think it's hard to beat a Tikka for the money, if you don't like the stock buy a McMillan and have it pillar bedded.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Bronze Member

It all comes down to money and how much of yours you'd like to get rid of !! Out of the box the Savage rifles dollar for dollar are hard to beat and being the range master at one of the long range groundhog matches in the east for 10 years I've seen them all shoot and I get to see them all in all calibers and cartridges. For normal big game hunting when your shooting at a volleyball to basketball sized target any of the above will do in most cases, now shifting down to to squirrel and dog sized targets is another story, your wallet is going to get involved. For that adventure your 700 Remington action will be more than good enough, an action truing, a new barrel and chamber cut and installed, a new trigger, stock and bedding will set you back well over a $1200 bucks plus your action...then we get to scopes and the sky is the limit in that department... So it all comes down to your wallet size, what you want to hunt and how far you'd like to shoot at em... $$$$$
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

I see the opposite at the matches I run, (Benchrest) people come with Savages hyping them up but when the commence fire is given just excuses of why they aren't shooting. Now please don't get upset but there is no comparison between the Savage and the Tikka as far as barrel quality or looks.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I have shot in factory class 200-300 yard egg shoots for many years, about a dozen each summer. For the last few years or so, at least 80 % of the first and second place winners are shooting Savages. They have clearly out run the Remingtons which one held the lead position, and scores have improved radically with numerous shoot offs due to perfect scores. The number of participants has also gone up as well due the availability of very accurate out of the box factory rifles.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt