Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage vs Remington vs tikka vs browning vs custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

Savage vs Remington vs tikka vs browning vs custom

Hello everyone, so im going to bring up a question that has probably been brought up at one point or another. Its a rifle opinion....but i ask that only the rifles mentioned get commented on. Im looking for a tack driver for hunting, so i have been doing a little research and all these complanies are coming out with their own "long range hunting" rifles. So, out of these companies, which would be considered the best? I would be looking for either a 7mm mag or a 300 win mag....I will list the rifles, their componants, and prices. Please take all into account.....

Savage 111 LRH -
Accutrigger, Accustock, 26" barrel, 10:1 twist - $989.00

Remington Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle -
Bell & Carlson stock, Full-length aluminum bedding block, 26" varmint-contour 416 stainless steel barreled action with dish-style target crown, 40-X externally adjustable trigger, Barrel is free-floating with LTR-style fluting - $1500.00

Browning A-Bolt II Long Range Hunter
Matte blued 26; Medium heavy; Fluted; Free floating, Glass bedded receiver, grey laminate stock - $969.99

Tikka T3 -
Sako precision barrel, free floating, hand crowned, single stage adjustable trigger(2-4lbs) - $660.00

Or do i take my Remington 700 action 7mm mag and go custom with it?

All or any info would be great, thank you!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage vs Remington vs tikka vs browning vs custom

I'm in a quandry about your questions.

In the first place, your first comment don't pertain to hunting. A tack driver and hunting are 2 entirely different things.

I dight my rifles in, on the bench but in the field, hunting game, it's all about that instant. Racks hold up targets at the range and have nothing to do with harvesting game.

Secondly, let your wallet be your guide. If you can afford a custom rig, go buy one.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deederswy View Post
Hello everyone, so im going to bring up a question that has probably been brought up at one point or another. Its a rifle opinion....but i ask that only the rifles mentioned get commented on. Im looking for a tack driver for hunting, so i have been doing a little research and all these complanies are coming out with their own "long range hunting" rifles. So, out of these companies, which would be considered the best? I would be looking for either a 7mm mag or a 300 win mag....I will list the rifles, their componants, and prices. Please take all into account.....

Savage 111 LRH -
Accutrigger, Accustock, 26" barrel, 10:1 twist - $989.00

Remington Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle -
Bell & Carlson stock, Full-length aluminum bedding block, 26" varmint-contour 416 stainless steel barreled action with dish-style target crown, 40-X externally adjustable trigger, Barrel is free-floating with LTR-style fluting - $1500.00

Browning A-Bolt II Long Range Hunter
Matte blued 26; Medium heavy; Fluted; Free floating, Glass bedded receiver, grey laminate stock - $969.99

Tikka T3 -
Sako precision barrel, free floating, hand crowned, single stage adjustable trigger(2-4lbs) - $660.00

Or do i take my Remington 700 action 7mm mag and go custom with it?

All or any info would be great, thank you!
The Savage and the Tikka are the better of the lot, but have seen some Brownings with the boss system shoot lights out. You might also want to look at the Weatherby Vanguard (Howa). Might also consider an AccuMark as well. Each has an advantage over the other, but not enough to be a game changer. All of them except for the Savage have hammer forged barrels. The Savage is button rifled (but the Tikka seems to have their barrel process down pat). The only Tikka I've shot was in 270 Winchester, and I liked it, but not enought to take it over a Savage. The first thing I noticed about the Tikka was the great balance it had when shooting offhand! About as good as it gets! The Savage has a better trigger. Been so long since I shot a Browning A-bolt that I don't remember a lot about it other than the noise. One thing I didn't like about the Savage (for me anyway) is the way the stock fit me. I'm a small framed person and I found it akward. A six foot guy wouldn't have a problem.
gary
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

you already own your action
Barrel 450ish +-
stock 100-700
trigger 150ish
gun smithing 250 -600

It all depends on what you want, want to achieve and who you have do what with your rifle and how much you are willing to do yourself.

My daughter wants to get into the long range game. So with my initial set of criteria for her rifle. I'm looking at 1500 and that's before scope, rail, rings. Just the barrel and having it installed action trued and muzzle break is going to be in the neighborhood of 900+, the rest I'll do. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised to be into it for 2K or more when the 1st round is fired.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

Take a look at the Sako Grey Wolf. I have one in 7RM and it's extremly well made and a one hole shooter with Federal 150gr Ballistic tips or Hornady SST 139gr Superperformance ammo.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Since you mentioned hunting, I'd take a hard look at Tikka. Dependable, accurate and lightweight. The plastic puts people off in the show room but that all goes away at the range and in the field.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

i have the savage LRH and love it but all are fine rifles so in the end its up to what fits you and what you like