Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage Stevens ???'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Stevens ???'s

Many long range hunting rigs are single shot. My 338 Edge is single shot built on a Savage long/short action.

Opinions on calibers are just that, opinions. Yours is the only one that matter.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

If you're any sort of mechanically inclined, switching barrels on the Stevens is a fairly simple job. Custom barrels aren't that hard to come by and headspace gauges can be rented for around $10. Shilen, McGowan, Lothar Walther and many other premier makers all sell savage pre-fits and would be able to get you the WSM of your choosing in a small shank (my .300 Ultra is a Stevens 200 wearing a Shilen pre-fit.)
This is one gun where it might actually be less work to re-barrel than alter the mag box!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

You are right. I really was not liking the idea of a wsm all that much. There is nothing wrong with the caliber at all just my choice. I could however purchase a prefit for a 300 wm or a rum and a local smith will set the headspacing for only 50 bucks. That makes me feel alot better that I am not the only one hunting with a single shot.

406pat, Is your 300rum a single shot or repeter? 406pat I will be up in Helena this summer about july I love that city!!

Darrin
Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Mine is a single shot. When I built it I had grand plans of working on the box and getting it to feed, but after I got looking into it I decided it wasn't worth it for me. Just a personal choice but I didn't feel a repeater was necessary and I didn't want to spend money and time it would take (I did all the work myself) to figure out how to make it work at the time. It's still something I'd like to look into eventually though. For now I just make sure the cartridge wallet is off the belt and laying next to the gun when I set up .

Seems like a good excuse to get some fellas together for a shoot or something! July is usually hot and dry but I'd rather shoot through mirage than wind any day! Also, I should have my latest build done and dialed in by then
Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like a plan!! What are you haveing built?

Darrin
Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

I'm building a .260 on a Mauser 98 action. I'm fitting it to take M1A mags and am working on making bottom metal and building the stock right now. I've got the barrel in and ready to go. It's a short chambered one so I just need to screw it down and finish ream it. Been a really fun project so far, that said it's to the point where the fun of doing is almost gone and I'm ready to be done!