Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage short action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage short action

I don't think you can really go wrong with the .308, it would have been my pick as well.

They are usually accurate over a range of bullet weights, and usually not overly picky about which brand they are digesting. Plenty of powders to work with, brass in both new and once fired is usually plentiful and easily acquired, and last seemingly forever. Recoil is, well to me a none issue except for my little Ruger Compact which fully loaded and ready to hunt only weighs 6.5#. In the field I never notice it, but off a bench, it starts to work on you after about 10 rounds.

Wile I don't have any special LR loads worked up for mine, I have reached out to 400+ yards with it and factory Rem CL's, and made several DRT shots on feral hogs, which for the 16.5" barreled rifle and factory ammo is pretty decent.

Good luck with you build, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"