Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage / Shilen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage / Shilen questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
i have heard that shilen barrels that have been coming with tool marks in them.
a lot of that is in what grade of Shilen barrel your buying. Tony Boyer was using nothing but Shilen barrels for years (I don't know what he's using right now). Last time I heard he had won more meets than anybody out there. I know a couple big time shooters in the far northwest that use nothing but Pacnor barrels; yet I often hear someone cussing them. Lots of folks here like Krieger barrels, and they certainly are fine barrels. But if you pinned me down this morning I'd tell you right up front that the best barrels I ever looked thru were from Ron Pence (.308 & 6BR's). What I'm saying is that when you buy a super duper select match whatever brand it is, it's usually a pretty good barrel. And probably a better barrel than 97% of us can make full use of. Bill Calfee's rifles have won more rimfire meets than everybody else probably. He uses almost nothing but Lilja barrels. Yet Bill has often said he actually uses two out of every five he gets in. And old Bill's never been known to pull a punch, and will call a spade when he see's a spade.
gary
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage / Shilen questions

Shilen, sold his brand name, so its no longer Shilen...