Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage / Shilen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage / Shilen questions

I'm saying that a inch dowel and sand paper and a few hours of work, even then you might not be pleased with the out come.
Now if it was the 110 police style accustock, built for the 300 winmag, you'd have a different animal.
mho+2cents
Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axtell3 View Post
I'm saying that a inch dowel and sand paper and a few hours of work, even then you might not be pleased with the out come.
Now if it was the 110 police style accustock, built for the 300 winmag, you'd have a different animal.
mho+2cents
here's a trick that I came up with when I had to relieve a bunch of wood on a laminated stock forend. I found these rotary rasps at Lowes or Menards in different diameters and about 3" long. I bought several of them, and made a holder for them. Now I use them to rough out the wood till it gets within about .06" of where I want it to be. From there I sand it nice and smooth (two or three ice cold Fat Tires really helps along the way). The rasps cut the wood much faster, and work just as well on graphite and plastic stocks.
gary
Old 10-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

Ill have to look for those rasps.
I think the fat tires might be good too, round here it's custom brewcrafters or southern tier ale.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axtell3 View Post
Ill have to look for those rasps.
I think the fat tires might be good too, round here it's custom brewcrafters or southern tier ale.
when you see that rasp, you'll know how to make the handle for it. There's also a half round one that may work just as well. Just saves a lot of time and elbow grease
gary
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM

Hey im looking to do the same thing but looking for a bull barrel 300 win mag. I looked around and love the kits but looking for that fat none tapered and extra weight. Order a reciver wrench and think im going to use the block of wood with the c clamp trick. First build and cant wait but havent seen any bull barrel replacment barrel kits. The kits comes with the no go and go gauges and the nut wrench and then some. The rifle is a 110 savage my buddy got some mud in the barrel and didnt know it and shot it. The 7mm mag put a nice bow in the barrel. I swaped him and thought it would be an ecellent project. Now stalled by the selections of barrel contur. I called midway and asked if this is some thing that they can provide and they said that by popular demand or very rare times they will special order. Waiting for the call saying that they can make it happen.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Bronze Member

You don't need to buy a package, and shopping around might save you time and money. Check the savageshooters page just put a dot com on there.
They have nice writeups with photos, lists of supplies etc. I worked with Northland in Minnesota to order the barrel, as Midway didn't have what I wanted then. Got my action wrench from Midway, as well as the go guage and trigger guard. Not sure what stock you want, but I will say that Boyds classic will be too narrow for a full bull. I think thier thumbhole stock is wider. Stockys I'm told has a wider classic type.

Have fun! It's pretty awesome when the package comes together.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay blaze View Post
The rifle is a 110 savage my buddy got some mud in the barrel and didnt know it and shot it. The 7mm mag put a nice bow in the barrel. I swaped him and thought it would be an ecellent project.
A revived thread from 2010! jay blaze,,,, any receiver that has been over pressured from an over loaded round or barrel obstruction should be inspected by someone who knows what they are looking for (preferably Magnafluxed). No sense in putting money into a potential "bomb".