Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage / Shilen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

Savage / Shilen questions

Hey guys. I'm really wanting a model 111 fcns in 7mm mag with a shilen bull barrel.

First question: This is a model with the accustock, should the barrel fit without having to molest the stock?

Next question: What would a fair price be for having the shilen mounted and headspaced by a good gunsmith?

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at getting this package pretty soon after putting alot of research into it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage / Shilen questions

You can order a shilen pre fit barrel in about any contour. If you wanted to go with a heavier contour you might have to trim a little out. As for the installing and headspaceing of your barrel the best way I've heard it put is if you can change your oil you can change a barrel out. I can confirm this I'm not the most mechanicaly inclined person and I thought it was very simple. Just go to savage shooters forum and do a search on barrel swap or headspacing and you'll find more than enough info on it.

Nathan
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Hey guys. I'm really wanting a model 111 fcns in 7mm mag with a shilen bull barrel.

First question: This is a model with the accustock, should the barrel fit without having to molest the stock?

Next question: What would a fair price be for having the shilen mounted and headspaced by a good gunsmith?

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at getting this package pretty soon after putting alot of research into it.
just order a Forster 7mm mag headspace gauge (they're cheap), and then order in a barrel nut wrench from Sharpshooter Supply. They make the best wrench by far. Then just thread the barrel into the reciever till it seats on the headspace gauge. Now tighten the barrel nut for about 35 ft. lb. of torque (the amount can be as high as forty pounds, and as low as 25 ft. lb.). Your now ready to shoot
gary
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
just order a Forster 7mm mag headspace gauge (they're cheap), and then order in a barrel nut wrench from Sharpshooter Supply. They make the best wrench by far. Then just thread the barrel into the reciever till it seats on the headspace gauge. Now tighten the barrel nut for about 35 ft. lb. of torque (the amount can be as high as forty pounds, and as low as 25 ft. lb.). Your now ready to shoot
gary

So it's that simple.?
I am pretty handy mechanically, but I have been a little reserved on doing this simple project. Don't want to screw something simple up since we are talking about a controlled explosion that takes place less than six inches from my brain. I have a smith that's going to give me a quote. If he can do it for about what I would have in the tools I will probably just let him do it. I have too many tools laying around now that I bought for one- time jobs. Thanks for the info though. If the smith quotes me something crazy I will look into it.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, IMO it's just that simple. To me haveing a savage is a joy to be able to swap barrel and or bolt head at any time and have any caliber you want. To each his own though, either way you will enjoy your savage.

Happy shooting,

Nathan
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
So it's that simple.?
I am pretty handy mechanically, but I have been a little reserved on doing this simple project. Don't want to screw something simple up since we are talking about a controlled explosion that takes place less than six inches from my brain. I have a smith that's going to give me a quote. If he can do it for about what I would have in the tools I will probably just let him do it. I have too many tools laying around now that I bought for one- time jobs. Thanks for the info though. If the smith quotes me something crazy I will look into it.
*Here's what you will need, and a couple items you just might need. Of course your gonna want a vise and blocks to hold onto the action with (note: some folks prefer to hold the barrel). You will probably need a hammer to give the barrel nut wrench a smack the first time the nut is removed. After the nut is unscrewed about a thread or so the entire barrel can be unscrewed out of the action by hand.

* Going back together, I like to give the barrel threads a very light coat of Neversieze with Nickel (do not use Loctite Antisieze!), and then screw the barrel into the action till it's about two threads shy of being where it needs to be. I then drop in the headspace gauge and screw the barrel into the contact with the headspace gauge. Now screw the nut into the action till it's solid. Now just tighten the nut till it has about 25 ft. lb. of torque on it. Pull the head space gauge out of the action and wipe off any of the Neversieze on it. Reinstall it and check out the feel on the bolt when closing. The barrel nut will normally pull the barrel forward about .0025" to .0035" taking out the clearence in the thread as well as stretching the thread ever so slightly. Making it be in ridgid contact with the female thread.

* tools you might need in a pinch (if the nut is very tight).
1. An internal action wrench
2. always keep three or four once fired cases in a plastic bag for further checks on the headspace
3. a 12 pack of Sam Adams October Fest beer
gary
Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
SPONSOR

Remove the plunger/ejector assembly form the bolt so you can 'feel' the headspace gage more easily, you won't be fighting that spring.