Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 693
SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

I got new Savage catalog, where I saw this model in 260 rem. Going to Savage website I had confirmed they do exist... I always wanted to get my hands on 6.5mm, this .264 bullets are amazing!!! Does anyone had experience with this Savage? Any thoughts on the HS precision stock and their bedding system? Does it requires skin bedding? It shows 1:8 twist, just wonder how heavy bullets can it accurately push? What bullets does it like? Thanx
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
mkg mkg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Satillite Beach, Florida
Posts: 178
Re: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
I got new Savage catalog, where I saw this model in 260 rem. Going to Savage website I had confirmed they do exist... I always wanted to get my hands on 6.5mm, this .264 bullets are amazing!!! Does anyone had experience with this Savage? Any thoughts on the HS precision stock and their bedding system? Does it requires skin bedding? It shows 1:8 twist, just wonder how heavy bullets can it accurately push? What bullets does it like? Thanx
Jinx,

I can't help on the 12LRP . They must be a new model . I do have three model 12 BVSS and they all shoot really well.
I am having a Shilen select match built in 260 as we speak in 1:8 twist . I'm targeting 140 gr. A-max as the bullet of choice. The A-max has shot well in everything I have tried it in ( 208's in 300WinMag, 178's in 300WSM , 105's in 243 and 80's in 22-250).

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clark Co., IN
Posts: 69
Re: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg
The A-max has shot well in everything I have tried it in ( 208's in 300WinMag, 178's in 300WSM , 105's in 243 and 80's in 22-250).
What twist?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
mkg mkg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Satillite Beach, Florida
Posts: 178
Re: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
What twist?
8 twist, but they actually shot well in a 1:9 twist model 12 Low Profile Varminter also.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clark Co., IN
Posts: 69
Re: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg View Post
8 twist, but they actually shot well in a 1:9 twist model 12 Low Profile Varminter also.

Mike
Thanks...I'm seriously contemplating ditching the 270 barrel I have on one of my actions and replacing it with a 9 twist 22-250 VLP takeoff.

Launching a 75gr A-max @ 3200fps+ seems like it'd be rather cost-effective paper/steel shooting out to 500m (compared to my 260) and play hell on any varmints I might put in the crosshairs...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 PM
mkg mkg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Satillite Beach, Florida
Posts: 178
Re: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
Thanks...I'm seriously contemplating ditching the 270 barrel I have on one of my actions and replacing it with a 9 twist 22-250 VLP takeoff.

Launching a 75gr A-max @ 3200fps+ seems like it'd be rather cost-effective paper/steel shooting out to 500m (compared to my 260) and play hell on any varmints I might put in the crosshairs...
Will drop a white tail in thier tracks also .

How do you like the 260 ?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clark Co., IN
Posts: 69
Re: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg View Post
Will drop a white tail in thier tracks also .

How do you like the 260 ?

Mike
Love it!

I have a Rem 700 MTN LSS that is a dream to hunt whitetail with, and since I'm a recoil sissy , beats me up a LOT less than a 270 or 30-06 which means I practice a lot more.

Funny thing is I've been hunting with this rifle LONG before I heard it was getting popular in practical long-range shooting circles; I liked it because it was "different" and accurate and only later started learning about ballistic coefficients & all that.

This winter I put a 8-twist 26" varmint contour CBI barrel on another Savage 110 I had. Haven't taken it beyond 100yd yet as I'm still doing load development (and waiting for 123gr A-max to come back in stock) but its a pussycat to shoot.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: SAVAGE model 12 Long Range Precision 260 REM
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.22-250 Rem Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter bowhunthard Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 8 07-31-2013 11:29 AM
Help with my Savage 12 Long Range Precision YOTE Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 01-10-2013 09:43 PM
need help w/poor grouping- Savage model 11 Long Range Hunter 308 chowder The Basics, Starting Out 25 04-23-2012 09:26 PM
what should i get? Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter Ring Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 12-07-2009 03:43 PM
FS: Savage M12 Long Range Precision Varmint 22-250 bushmaster Guns For Sale 5 05-24-2009 06:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC