Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage Model 12 benchrest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Savage Model 12 benchrest

I have been looking at the Savage Model 12 benchrest in 6.5x284 lately and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this gun are. I am considering it for a cheaper practice alternative to my Edge and also for a gun that my wife can enjoy long ranging with. Is this a pretty accurate out of the box gun and what should I expect from it? I can get it for right about a $1050 new. Any experiences or opinions are appreciated.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Model 12 benchrest

I have the 12 F-Class. It's a very solid factory target rifle.

The weight really soaks up the recoil. But, it's not much to look at or hunt with.

My son has been shooting it for fun since he was 14.

We bought it used and worked up a 3/4 MOA load (20 shot string), quit doing load development, and just started shooting. With not much wind, he's held it to MOA at 940yds on the few opportunities he's had to shoot that far.

Many shooters report better accuracy. And, we've shot some .25" groups at 100yds. I may rebarrel before long and see what it can really do.

-- richard
Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

I also have the 12 f-class, only difference between the 2 is the stock and an inch of barrel, mine has shot .4554 moa or 4.554" 5 shot at 1k. Regularly shoots .2-.4moa at 100yrds.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

What are the advantages/diasadvantages of the stock on each gun? I was considering the F class but I have never shot a gun with the F class stock and I'm not sure I would like it.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know if I have the correct answer. But, my opinion is that the wide, flat, straight F-Class butt stock tracks nice and straight. If you've got a proper front rest and rear bag, you can pretty much shoot it free recoil and not worry about muzzle rise.

I would think that would be a concern as well for benchrest shooters. So, I don't know why they put the slope on the bottom of that stock except to give people options.

Some taper is often an advantage in a hunting rifle in that it helps for getting your elevation quickly by sliding the rifle fore or aft on an impromptu rest.

I'd sure be keen to hear other input.

-- richard
Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

The F-Class stock has a straight toe, as previously mentioned. The 'problem' is that its too wide - it tapers from basically the full width of the pistol grip to about 5/8" wide at the butt. Most rear bags, even with extra wide stitches and what not, are about 3/8" to maybe 1/2" wide between the ears. So unless you are willing to pay for an extra-extra wide spaced rear bag, or are okay with the stock riding up a ways on the ears... its somewhat less than idea. Savage kind of went overboard the other way, putting a varmint style tapered toe on the BR stock - but at least it fits most rear bags. TA simple solution would be to get the F-Class stock and do some re-shaping of the stock to narrow up the toe area.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I don't know if I have the correct answer. But, my opinion is that the wide, flat, straight F-Class butt stock tracks nice and straight. If you've got a proper front rest and rear bag, you can pretty much shoot it free recoil and not worry about muzzle rise.

I would think that would be a concern as well for benchrest shooters. So, I don't know why they put the slope on the bottom of that stock except to give people options.

Some taper is often an advantage in a hunting rifle in that it helps for getting your elevation quickly by sliding the rifle fore or aft on an impromptu rest.

I'd sure be keen to hear other input.

-- richard
Makes sense. Based on what you said I may have to give the F class a look because I would say that 95% of the shooting with this gun will be off of front and rear bags on a bench. How would that stock be for prone shooting off of bags?