Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

savage model 111 long ranger hunter 25-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

savage model 111 long ranger hunter 25-06

looking into buy this new savage rifle, has anyone shot one yet? how does the stock feel, the trigger, anything impressive about them or am i wasting my time, should i just buy another remington and bed it and go from there?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: savage model 111 long ranger hunter 25-06

I too am having trouble finding any feedback on this rifle. They just started shipping a week ago. I decided to order one a while back in the 6.5x284 and should be getting it in the next couple days. I will fill you in with details once I get this baby out on the range. Shooting times had a nice listing of this rifle and from my experience with savages, I have no doubt that it will perform well right out of the box.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote doctor View Post
I too am having trouble finding any feedback on this rifle. They just started shipping a week ago. I decided to order one a while back in the 6.5x284 and should be getting it in the next couple days. I will fill you in with details once I get this baby out on the range. Shooting times had a nice listing of this rifle and from my experience with savages, I have no doubt that it will perform well right out of the box.
I just picked up my 111LRH in 300 Win Mag today! I was very unhappy to find that it is only a sporter tapered barrel! The entire selling hype was based on a heavier barrel to increase Long Range Accuracy! older pictures show the fluting! This is a serious case of bait and switch and I am not happy!

This is the third Savage I have purchased this year and have been extremely pleased with eth first two!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budperm View Post
I just picked up my 111LRH in 300 Win Mag today! I was very unhappy to find that it is only a sporter tapered barrel! The entire selling hype was based on a heavier barrel to increase Long Range Accuracy! older pictures show the fluting! This is a serious case of bait and switch and I am not happy!
What might disappoint some may be a plus for others. If you don't mind, what is the actual weight of your rifle - now I might be interested. Did everything else look as previously advertised such as the muzzle break, Karsten cheek piece, accustock etc. There are a lot of guys I know just waiting to see what someone actually gets for accuracy out of this rifle. Hope it's a shooter for you. Keep us informed. What did you finally end up paying for your rifle?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

I should have my LRH in couple weeks. Ordered the 6.5x284! I got to look at one in a 300 as well. It does still have the adustable cheek piece, brake, accustock, ect. Its a medium heavy barrel without the flutes which I am happy about. No need for that. They went with that barrel because it had better accuracy. Great accuracy in fact! The stock had a good feel and good balance to the rifle as well. I picked mine up for $750 here in MT. It will be a shooter no doubt. And think the rifle was round 8lbs. All I got for now.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I should have my LRH in couple weeks. Ordered the 6.5x284! I got to look at one in a 300 as well. It does still have the adustable cheek piece, brake, accustock, ect. Its a medium heavy barrel without the flutes which I am happy about. No need for that. They went with that barrel because it had better accuracy. Great accuracy in fact! The stock had a good feel and good balance to the rifle as well. I picked mine up for $750 here in MT. It will be a shooter no doubt. And think the rifle was round 8lbs. All I got for now.
Yote when did you get to look at these? From all I've read the early prototypes were med weight fluted barrels! The 300 Win Mag I picked up yesterday sure didn't look like a med weight bbl. Gun did weight 8.7lb.
Overall fit and finish is very nice! Very solid ridgit feel compared to my Sav 270win w/ old style synth stock. She feels great, very natural when shouldering her.

Again the barrel looks to be a sporter taper not a med weight! Fluting I can take or leave. The whole premise of the long range hunter was heavier barrel...better accuracy for those long shots. If not then why is this gun retailed for more than a 10FCP-K which has everything the LRH has but the cheek piece, and the 10FCP-K has a removable box mag instead of hinged floorplate.

I will pull out the caliper when I get home from work today and compare dimensions just to be sure. The break is also smaller and same diameter as the barrel

Thanks for your feed back everybody! I have been in love with Savages since the accu-trigger. both my 223 and 270Win are tack drivers right out of the box. This has me pretty upset since I have been waiting since Christmas for these to come in-stock!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I should have my LRH in couple weeks. Ordered the 6.5x284! I got to look at one in a 300 as well. It does still have the adustable cheek piece, brake, accustock, ect. Its a medium heavy barrel without the flutes which I am happy about. I picked mine up for $750 here in MT.
yote doctor: Did you get to look at the 300 at - Was it here in Montana? If you ask anyone here in Billings about the 11/111 Savage they don't know what your talking about.