Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Which action would you prefer for a semi custom build?
Savage Model 12 VLP DBM 12 75.00%
Remington Model 700 variation 4 25.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions

*More information on build*

I'm trying to build a light-weight, long range, tack-driver on one of these actions. I'd like the gun to weigh < 8.5 lbs scoped and loaded. This will be my go-to rifle for all the hunting I do, whether mountain top hunts or at the bench.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

I love my model 12lrp 300wsm! It dont care what you feed it, everything has ben 1/2 moa or better...i did trim the spring on the trigger to lighten it up more, you pull the accutrigger and breathe on the trigger....

On a side note mines 14# on the scale and i pack it everywhere....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

I'd go with a Savage action, 26" pre-fit barrel, and a lighter weight stock, many options to choose from. You'll keep the weight down, but 8.5 may be a little hard to do, depending on optics. My first savage was a .22-250 FVSS, plastic stock. I hogged out the forearm, bedded the recoil lug area and bedded a stiff carbon Fat-Shaft arrow in the forearm to stiffing it up. It has a 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmaster on it with a 20 MOA base. It is a sweet shooter out to 850 yards, thats the fartest I've taken this one. NO ACTION WORK.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

I'm looking at a Pac Nor #4 or #5 contour with 6 flutes or something similar from one of the other manufacturers listed. The reason I'm using PN for a reference is because I'm able to get an estimate on what the weight of such a barrel would be: 3.2lbs or 3.55lbs.

I'd like to have Stockade make/fit one of their Mule Deer stocks on it.

For optics I'm thinking something smaller and more compact. Depending on how cash flow goes with the build I could end up with either: Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 (don't like the illumination dial option though), Weaver Tactical 2-10x36 (favorite choice right now) or a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32/42 (price is WAY more than I would like to pay, but I know they're supposed to be awesome).

Haven't decided on what base or rings I'll use and whether or not I'll put a bipod on it. If I end up mounting a bipod, obviously I'll be going over that 8.5lbs limit I'm hoping to remain under.

The Savage action is looking better and better from where I'm sitting =) I can't believe they don't get more hype if so many people are using them, they don't require a smith "fixing" them and they're as cheap as they are. How would you say they compare to a higher end custom "700 style" action? Does it just come down to which one people feel is "easier on the eyes"?

Thanks again for the advice and help!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

The main thing the Remingtons have going for them is the choice of triggers and stocks. There are several "cloned" Rem 700 custom actions out there (which would NOT need to be blueprinted) but they start at $950 and thats typically without a trigger or magazine.

Google "stiller", "shilen" (an OEM version of a Stiller), Pearse (in Lansing, MI) and there are surely more.

There would certainly be a subjective difference between a custom action and a Savage. The custom or "properly" blueprinted Rem 700 action would have smaller clearances, better camming action (chambering or unchambering), better bolt lug engagement, and (for extra $) have the best possible triggers.

No-one makes a trigger comparable to a Jewel for a Savage action. The one game in town regarding improved Savage triggers (sharp shooter supply) has had many customer service issues in the last year and one has to wonder how long they will stay in business. Fitting their trigger also requires sending in the Savage action to them and that could take many months currently.

So, if you have the money, get a custom action. There is really no better way to go. The wait time for the ones I mentioned will be shorter too. If you don't have the money, get the Savage. Try the factory barrel, if the twist rate is OK, else take it off. If it is a new fluted varmint barrel, sell it. I got $180 for mine. Thats not to be sneezed at. Then get the best barrel you can afford and screw it on and you will be in business.