Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Which action would you prefer for a semi custom build?
Savage Model 12 VLP DBM 12 75.00%
Remington Model 700 variation 4 25.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions

This will be my first thread on here and I really hope I'm placing this in the correct spot.

I'm looking to do another build but was hoping I could get some advice on action choice before getting started. I put together what I'd consider a nice shooting Savager over the summer based on the model 11.

I want to build another rifle for longer range, which is why I'm looking at the model 12 VLP, but the best price I can find for one is $495. I'm thinking of putting together a 6.5mm WSM or possibly a 270 WSM. This is why I'm wondering which action is of higher quality and if the 700 is of higher quality whether there's anything within this price range.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not it's a preference thing or the 700 is truly the better action. The reason I'm even curious is because it seems most custom guns are built on a variation of the 700, not the Savage.

Thanks for reading and I hope to learn from you all.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions

I've had my share of Remington's when I was younger, still have 1 in .300 RUM. I build all the time now, and ever since the Accutrigger came out I've been shooting Savage's. I have Tac, FTR, F/Open, BR, and Hunting rifles all on Savage actions, very happy. The VLP would make a good platform to build off of, especially for $495.00, and you could sell the stock and upgrade later, if needed. You say this is for LR, what type or types?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

I have a custom Rem 700 in 300 RUM with Jewel trigger. Shoots very well, but I have a Savage LRP that out shoots it, I am sorry to say.

Just finished my "weekend" build on a Savage 12 VLP action, Just like the one you are considering. The 12 VLP actions are very good as the accutrigger goes down to 1.5 lb pull. The hunting actions just go down to 2.5 lb.

I would not get a Rem 700 action and have it worked on so it will perform. You may or may not achieve what you were wanting. If I wanted a 700 style action for a build, I would just get a custom action like Stiller or something. Otherwise I would use the Savage 12 action you are looking at.

Below rifle is:
Savage 12 VLP action 300 WSM
HS Precision stock
McGowen 26" bull barrel
Badger brake
Darkeagle 5 round mag (Works perfect and uses the Savage bottom metal.)
Vortex PST scope

300 WSM and first group after 1 fouling shot. The horizontal was my fault.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions-img_20131204_103515-2.jpg   Savage M12 VLP DBM vs. Remington 700 actions-img_20131204_103330.jpg  

Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

farout, nice rig. I've never put a Savage together that did not shoot tight.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Remington 700 all the way.

If it weren't for the Remington 700, Savage would have never had anything to copy...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Kind of a funny story. I have a pet 700 I refuse to mod. It was gift from my father. It shoots really well. When I was looking at doing a build my LR buddies and friends who are smiths wanted me to mod that rifle. True this, true that, jewel trigger, target crown, bed, do this, do that. I bought a Savage and they just said, well, hmph, ok, when you shoot the barrel out we can rebarrel it. Not one person talks about doing squat to the savage. I personally like the rem action fit and feel but have no dislike for the savage at all even if it Ain't Purty.

I will be building a new rifle this winter and it will be on savage. I have all the tools to do it and look forward to making it happen with own hands. Good luck no matter what you choose.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the replies so far! Far more informational than I could have expected. I don't think I made myself clear with the original post though. I will only be purchasing the action, not a complete rifle. I plan to get a Pac Nor, Brux or Bartlein barrel put on whatever rifle I end up with. Jury's still out on the stock at this point.

Anyways, that's why I was wondering if there's any custom "700 style" actions within this sub $500 price range worth the money.

Farout - looks like the targets my 308 is capable of I put together this past summer. Great looking gun and group!