Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage LRH problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage LRH problem

I have a few Savages and they all have blind screw holes. It appears to be in the design, not a manufacturing issue. I have had no issues filing about .020" off the end of the base screws for a secure mount. I don't understand why Savage does this.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

Thought about just ordering a tap. But anytime I make a small order from midway it turns into a large order called savage, said they'd have UPS pick it up at my house and fix it and return it. The kicker is a 4 week turnaround time. I'm just going to order a tap. Like everyone said. It'll be handy to have around.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

I scratch my head sometimes.... Why would anyone get perishable tooling from a place like Midway when it's available from a real tooling supplier like MSC, or Production Tool or even Enco where you have a choice in manufacturers and can get what you want for less plus get American made (not that the Midway stuff isn't but then they don't state country of orign).

Besides, what fit class is the tap? It's not stated (I looked). Taps come in fit classes. A fit class is the difference between the major diameter and the root diameter and dictates how tight the mating component engages the thread helix.

Taps normally come in 3 designs, taper, plug and bottoming and I usually get 2 of the 3, taper and plug. A plug tap can be modified to become a bvottoming tap by simply grinding off the base a bit.

Not trying to be critical, just offering alternatives. Again, 2 complete turns of engagement is all that is required...and, on some receivers, not all holes are blind, some are through so one needs to be cognizant that on a through hole, it's easy to run the screw head completely through the receiver and become an interference fit with the bolt, which, don't work.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

I realize there are different classes of thread engagements. I'm by no means a master machinist but machining and fabrication work are a part of my job. I'm choosing to order the tap from midway for the simple ease of it. Not sure if its cheaper somewhere else, but shipping wouldn't be when that's all I need from msc but will order other needed items from midway. I'm not getting 2 turns of engagement. I'm barely getting one. The only reason I considered sending it to Savage was because I don't like my new stuff to not be right from the get go. But I don't like a 4 week wait either.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

In today's marketplace, most manufactured items aren't 'excatly the way you want them'.

I would consider a different rail other than the EGW, like a Nightforce or Ken Farrel.

I have an EGW 20 MOA on one of my firearms but quality wise there are better options out there, for a price of course.