Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage LRH problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Savage LRH problem

Went to mount my EGW 1 piece base on my new Savage LRH tonight to test fit it before I bedded it to the action. Screws went in a little bit and got tight with a big gap before the base was even snug. Removed the screws and the ends looked like the hole wasn't drilled big enough before being tapped. Tried some extra screws with the same results. Not sure if the tap wasn't ran in far enough or hole wasn't drilled big enough. Either way I have to call Savage tomorrow and send it back. I'm sure they'll make it right just sucks to have to part with it before shooting it.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage LRH problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdavis81 View Post
Went to mount my EGW 1 piece base on my new Savage LRH tonight to test fit it before I bedded it to the action. Screws went in a little bit and got tight with a big gap before the base was even snug. Removed the screws and the ends looked like the hole wasn't drilled big enough before being tapped. Tried some extra screws with the same results. Not sure if the tap wasn't ran in far enough or hole wasn't drilled big enough. Either way I have to call Savage tomorrow and send it back. I'm sure they'll make it right just sucks to have to part with it before shooting it.
That sounds pretty crazy. The only issue some have is the front screw is long and hits the threads of the barrel before it gets tight. The others have nothing bottom out on. Sounds like the tap didn't make it all the way through if they go in at all. Sorry to hear you'll have to postpone using the toy.

Update: Thinking about it I've never tried to run a screw all the way through but I could have sworn they were threaded all the way through.
Romans 12:12
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Before sending it back, keep in mind you only need 2 full thread turns (360 degrees, 2 revolutions) to fully engage the screw to the receiver at the prevailing torque value for an EGW rail. Don't sound like much engagement but keep in mind that you have 3 screws engaging the receiver.

Having said that, there has been some issues (according to Broz ((Jeff) with EGW rails bedding properly and egg shaped mounting holes and late model rails. I have an EGW on a 4 year old 338 that I had/have no issues with but there are better quality rails out there. Bruce Talley makes them, so does Nightforce and Ken Farrell.

You will find the EGW rails looks nice but it's soft aluminum.

Remove the rail, start the screws and it you get 2 full turns, it's good to go. If the screws are too long, shorten them or go to your LGD and get shorter screws. Shortening the screws can be an issue if you don't allow for thread lead. Without proper lead and chamfer, they won't thread into the holes in the receiver properly, if at all.

Farrell makes a nice rail with a milled in bottm slot for epoxy. I used blue threadlocker under my rail and on the screws as well...
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

The front two holes are blind holes, the rear 2 are all the way thru. The base holes don't look oblong and everything lines up right. It's just mangling the screws. I could shorten them or install shorter ones and get my 2 turns of engagement but it won't be right and I won't be happy.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Why not just get a set of 6-48 taps from Brownells and re-run the threads. I usually do it on base mounting holes anyway to clean out the threads of left over shavings. Use the bottoming tap for the blind holes and the starting or regular tap for the through holes.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Why not just get a set of 6-48 taps from Brownells and re-run the threads. I usually do it on base mounting holes anyway to clean out the threads of left over shavings. Use the bottoming tap for the blind holes and the starting or regular tap for the through holes.
It would be pretty cheap and much faster than a return.
Romans 12:12
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

I got a new Remington 700 XCR Long Range Tactical 300 WM straight from Remington today. When I tried to mount the Nightforce base, none of the screws wanted to start. They did not have filler screws, so I figured they got junk in them when the stainless action was coated with their version of Ceracoat. Got out my 6-48 taps and ran it through the four holes. There was no way you could have gotten a screw in them, as they were. Re-tap then easy peasy, NXS scope mounted and ready to start barrel break in tomorrow. Everyone needs a set of taps for this reason. Cheap insurance against a broken off base screw.