Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage LRH, a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Savage LRH, a few questions

I am strongly considering a Savage Long Range Hunter as a Christmas gift to myself. I am leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor, as I am not a fan of recoil, and I like the ballistics of the 6.5.

I have seen a few posts on other forums in regards to the Long Range Hunter having some type of rubberized finish on the stock that tends to come off quite easily. Has anyone on this forum experienced that? If so, were you able to get a replacement stock from savage and did the replacement stock do the same thing? the reason that I ask is because a friend of a friend bought a LRH and as soon as he got it home and took the red accustock decal off the fore end, the rubberized finish peeled right off with it. There is also a LRH for sale on the Cabela's website that has the finish peeling off, and it looks horrible.

Also, how durable is that recoil pad that comes on the LRH? It sure is nice and soft, but it seems like it might tear easily during field use.

I would appreciate any input that you guys can provide, as I really like the rifle and I have the money burning a hole in my pocket. BTW, I have been a lurker on this forum for several years, and it's nice to finally be a member.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage LRH, a few questions

I can only attest to the 6.5x284 LRH that my nephew has. I helped my brother in law work on that gun and it is a shooter, under 1/2moa easy. That said, the stock sucks, his peeled as well and it is flimsy and the recoil pad isnt all that. I think if I bought one I would put it in a B&C or HS stock. My nephew called savage and they were going to send him another stock but he wanted to wait until after the hunting season. Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks Bob L. Unless I start hearing that the peeling problem has been solved, I will not be purchasing a LRH. I mean, how hard is it to either fix the peeling problem or just do away with the rubberized coating alltogether? Many other manufacturers manage to produce stocks with rubber coatings that dont flake off, why can't Savage? They are one of the most innovative companies in the industry, but they are going to start losing business if they continue in this manner. It's very frustrating to like a product so much, but be turned off because of quality control issues.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Maybe you can call savage and see if they have figured it out, as for accuracy the gun can shoot, dont know anything about the 6.5 creedmoor thou.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Bob L., I tried to send an e-mail to Steve Danneker who is a project engineer at Savage. He was responsible for the 110BA. I got his business card at the NRA convention 2 years ago. However the e-mail was returned as undeliverable, so I guess his e-mail address has changed. If anyone here has current contact information for someone "in the know" at Savage please send me a PM. I dont want to call the generic customer service number and get the same old company line "We're not aware of any problems with the finish on the LRH, but thanks for your inquiry." I just want to get the straight skinny.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

I had the peeling problem with my savage, and just called customer service. They sent me a new stock at no charge. I like the feeling of the coating on the stock, but it is rather flimsy. The recoil pad is nice, and can't see it not being able to stand up to the same abuse as a limbsaver (but not as much as a decelerator)

Nice guns overall--was considering getting one in 6.5 CM as well, but would probably go the 10 predator route and paint the stock.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 PM

How long have you had your replacement stock? And has the finish held up on it better than the first one?