Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage edge .223 not ejecting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Savage edge .223 not ejecting

Hey i have an Edge in .223 that i just picked up. shoots amazingly for the price, groups are sub moa with the right ammo. however right from new i have had problems with ejection. it extracts casings just fine but once it gets about 1/2 to 3/8 of an inch away from where the case neck should clear the chamber and take off the extractor just seems to drop the casing. i removed the extractor and checked the ball and spring and all is well and it seems to do this with any brass regardless of manufacturer. i live in small town alberta so shipping it back would be a bit of a pain. anybody have any ideas about what might cause this? or has anyone had this happen to them? thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage edge .223 not ejecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexthepilot View Post
Hey i have an Edge in .223 that i just picked up. shoots amazingly for the price, groups are sub moa with the right ammo. however right from new i have had problems with ejection. it extracts casings just fine but once it gets about 1/2 to 3/8 of an inch away from where the case neck should clear the chamber and take off the extractor just seems to drop the casing. i removed the extractor and checked the ball and spring and all is well and it seems to do this with any brass regardless of manufacturer. i live in small town alberta so shipping it back would be a bit of a pain. anybody have any ideas about what might cause this? or has anyone had this happen to them? thanks
The ejector pin and spring are in the bolt face, and are probably just gumed up. I've had to polish the pin on two or three rifles of mine in the past. Does the Edge use the same bolt as the other Savages? Also you might try putting a couple drops of Kroil around the bore and pin of the ejector.
if the pin is like the ones on a 112 or 12, then just remove the pin and polish it with 400 grit sand paper in a drill press. The bore sometimes will get a slight burr in it, so you might check for that as well. My guess is that the bore is all gummed up from the oil turning to grease, so a good cleaning might be all you need. In extreme cold weather I think I'd lube the pin with a little powdered graphite.
gary
Old 12-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Re: Savage edge .223 not ejecting

Thanks ill try that. the ejector feels the same when i depress it(little rough but otherwise free moving) as my model 12 does and it ejects fine so i kinda wrote that off. prematurely from the sounds of it lol. know of anywhere with detailed instructions for savage bolt disassembly/reassembly? and the only difference i know of with the bolt on the edge is that there is no hex drive in the end of the bolt. just a circular hole.

Last edited by Lexthepilot; 12-08-2010 at 02:16 PM.