Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage AXIS or marlin XL7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage AXIS or marlin XL7

Try Stevens, it uses same action as Savage 11 - 111, so down the road you can use it as a donor if you decide to upgrade its barrel, also there are many aftermarket parts which are made for Savage 11 and they will also fit Stevens.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Here's another vote for the Savage Axis.

Needed a truck gun for coyotes. $300 bucks at the gun show got me the Axis in .223. 60 and 69 grain Sierra's go into a quarter at 100 yards almost every time, unless I screw up the shot with that heavy trigger. Reliably drops coyotes.

Darn thing out shoots my more expensive hunting rifles most of the time.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

I've never used a Marlin, so I can't comment on it.
As far as the Axis goes, it is a bargain, and will work fine for most people, but if you're lookin for an entry level bolt action from Savage, I would steer you towards the Stevens 200. For only a little more, you would be getting a much better gun.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

I can can say both axis I have sighted in have been spot on. The 243 shoots 3/4 inch groups @100 yards. 223 is very close to that. For entry level they are great. No experience with the other sorry.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Never owned a XL7 so I can't comment on it but I do have an Axis in 223 and it shoots great. I was so happy with how it shot I started using it in our local competition shoots for factory sporter class. Almost always shoots a perfect score at 100yds and have shot less than 1/2 MOA out to 300. The guys I shoot with all use guns that cost over 2 X as much and they don't shoot much better.
That being said if you ever think you might want to upgrade I also would recommend the Stevens 200
Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM

stevens 200 I believe is discontinued at least in australia. I would just be looking for something accurate but inexpensive for general vermin removal such as goats, pigs, foxes, dogs maybe deer such as fallow or reds and the odd sambar. it would be basically a truck gun as you call them in the states. probably in 25.06 or 270. The marlin looks more attractive to me, The bolt handle on the axis looks a bit weak and I really don't like the stock. another one I have seen locally is the zastava m70 at around the same price, they appear by the pics I have seen to be built around a mauser action (similar to a parker hale 1200 santa barbara action) and are a more attractive rifle by far but once again I have never had one to know What they are like.

Basically I am just getting back in the game so to speak after a long period of not having any firearms and just need something to get me started again.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYcoyote View Post
I like the trigger and the stock design better on the Marlin.
Both are pretty good value rifles, you will find many happy with both.
Look them over and pick the one you like the best and go with it.
PS, if it is the Marlin, try to find one with a JM stamp on the barrel near the reciever. (Pre- Remington)
Nice pic of the buck