Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

savage 338 lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: savage 338 lapua

Every two firings

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Riley...

You need to state that. Ypu have posters thinking you've loaded numerous rounds with no case mouth issues. We know that can't be done with a 338 case.....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Riley...

You need to state that. Ypu have posters thinking you've loaded numerous rounds with no case mouth issues. We know that can't be done with a 338 case.....
sorry

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
My factory Hornady loads measured 4.328 using the hornady headspace insert thingy and fired brass measured 4.335. I think i figured out my pressure problems, my fired brass that had very slight resistance measures 4.335, my brass that i put through my body die measured 4.334.5 - 4.335. I dont think i am bumping the shoulder back far enough. Just enough that it closes without resistance but not enough that the case can be extracted easily and causing high pressure. I reset my die to 4.333. I will see how high i can go (in terms of powder) next time i am at the range. Can the minimal shoulder bump explain the ejector marks i was getting?
toddc, any thoughts on this?

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Any one neck turning their brass? I recall reading in a mag that savage has an intentionall tight throat around the case neck and little free bore.

Maybe in an effort to increase case life?

Me thinks I will build a 338 norma.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V