Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

savage 338 lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: savage 338 lapua

Google says 114 on h20 cap. Take that with a grain of salt it is the web abd I only perused one site. If its way off though Something maybe is up.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

according to google i am seeing anywhere from 112.5-155 grains of h2o using Lapua brass and around 116 grains with hornady brass, i will compare both.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

my 6x fired Lapua brass measure 114.9 grains of h20 tot he top of the neck and the hornady had 118.? grains to the top of the neck. Not sure what to think.......

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Tried the scotch tape yet? With the h2o being high it may be excess headspace for that round. Luckily thats an ez fix with a savage. I would get the chamber set to right past min saami and see what happens.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

No i havent, i will tomorrow

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch

Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Riley..

What the displacement difference between Lapua Brass and Hornady Brass is telling you is the structural differences between the cases, in other words, the Hornady cases may have thinner heads or be thinner in the belt area.

Are the cases clean inside??? Did you look in there?

I must have an odd 338. I've never had a tight case upon extraction, no bolt marks, nothing. It's shoot, extract and shoot. Thats with Lapua brass and the dreaded Privi brass. 250 SMK's, but then, I don't reload 4 times either.

I have noted that Sierra don't recommend 300 SMK's for the twist rate of the 11-111.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Riley..

What the displacement difference between Lapua Brass and Hornady Brass is telling you is the structural differences between the cases, in other words, the Hornady cases may have thinner heads or be thinner in the belt area.

Are the cases clean inside??? Did you look in there?

I must have an odd 338. I've never had a tight case upon extraction, no bolt marks, nothing. It's shoot, extract and shoot. Thats with Lapua brass and the dreaded Privi brass. 250 SMK's, but then, I don't reload 4 times either.

I have noted that Sierra don't recommend 300 SMK's for the twist rate of the 11-111.
The hornady brass actually held 122.?, i will check with scotch tape tomorrow. I have loaded my Lapua brass 6 times. Cases were clean as a whistle.

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch