Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

savage 338 lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: savage 338 lapua

my 338 Lapua is running 2635 fps with a 280 grain bullet and 82.4 grains of retumbo, am seriously considering a rebarrel to get another 200 fps.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
my 338 Lapua is running 2635 fps with a 280 grain bullet and 82.4 grains of retumbo, am seriously considering a rebarrel to get another 200 fps.
None of this makes sense unless the chamber isnt to spec or something. Im running 2850 with 12.3 gr more powder(YIKES) than a lapua in an edge. Those two are considered to be close to ballistic twins so something is OFF and it should be fixable. Id sure like to know how tight that chamber is. The only logical conclusion is that the chamber is tiny and is causing low vel/high pressure.
Be nice to KNOW a once fired cases H2O capacity and dimensions next to a custom or even rem once fired case. That should be a redneck/DIY way to look into the issue.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

If someone with a non savage 338 Lapua using Lapua brass could get a h2o capacity measurement and post it i could compare it to one of my fired cases. Toddc, would (should) getting a couple threads cut off then rechambered fix the small chamber problem if that is the issue?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
If someone with a non savage 338 Lapua using Lapua brass could get a h2o capacity measurement and post it i could compare it to one of my fired cases. Toddc, would (should) getting a couple threads cut off then rechambered fix the small chamber problem if that is the issue?
Its a savage. If the chamber is too narrow yeah needs smithwork. If its just real tight depthwise then just adjust it at the nut.You can actually play with the headspace on a savage in very small amounts which can have some interesting power and accuracy effects. Id like to hear how they act around no-go/ go gauges and measure a chamber cast also. Chamber cast is cheap and would be best really. Stuffs all over the web. I just cant see a lapua being that far behind an edge. The 2850 load is pretty standard for a 30" tube. How long are the savage tubes? Its not horrible overbore anyway that it needs the extra length too badly. Heck most 338 ultras with 26 inch tubes are generally reported as being 2700-2750 fps guns when pushed.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

They are 26" + brake, i will see if my uncle will do a chamber cast for me.

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch

Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
They are 26" + brake, i will see if my uncle will do a chamber cast for me.
Be cool to look at. Another interesting thought is this:
You can get a quick idea with scotch tape on the back of the case. If a factory shell will close with no resistance with the tape the chamber may be over. Conversely if the bolt wont close at all it may be an indication its under size. I wouldnt start grinding on anything without real measurements but it would be neat to see what it does.

Not totally scientific but Ive screwed together a few that way.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

i have some 250 grain hornady factory loads that i will try putting some scotch tape on tomorrow (technically today in mtn time).

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch