Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage 300wm or rem 300 um

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 300wm or rem 300 um

I have a Savage stainless 300 RUM with a blind mag if you want to get into a Savage 300 RUM for less than a new Sendero, considerably less. Mine has a similar profile to the Sendero. With the 300 RUM, you can load hot or down to a 300 wm, that's a real advantage no one is mentioning here. Case capacity is larger. Also, you can re barrel to a 338 edge off the case. In general Savage is cheaper to re-barrel as you can do it yourself. Let me know if you want a picture? How much are you looking to spend?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Aside from the round itself, nobody has mentioned triggers in this comparison. I have a Savage in 7mm rm but have not quite gotten used to the Accutrigger yet. The Sendero has Rem's single stage crisp trigger which I'm more used to, similar to Browning and others.

The thing I've noticed about the Accutrigger is that if you are getting ready for the shot, if you slowly pull the "first trigger" the pressure of it on your finger kind of masks the feeling in your finger when you make contact with the "second" trigger making the final snap less determinate that you might expect. I don't know if anyone else has experienced it but it seems to fit in with other somewhat related psychological perception tests I've read about.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 AM

Can the mag of the savage be changed out very easy for one that can fit longer rounds if so aprox how much would this cost?
I can get into the savage for a very good price so leaning that way but if the longer bullets will not work in the mag and no way of fixing with out going to single shot then the 700 might be the way to go. ??????

To throw another thing out there I already have a rem 700 7mag that I could go with but it does not like the heavier bullets and by the time I rebarrel and re stock it I could get into a new one that will do what I want. I just don't know. Appriceate all the responses keep them commimmg.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

The mag box of a Sendero (Std Ren LA) is about 3.710.

I don't know the length of a Savage box, maybe some one else can chime in.

When seating to just off the lands in a Sendero 300 RUM, I was unable to load 180 Tips and 210 Bergers into the box. It would have been possible with a Wyatts extended box.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams