Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

Which Savage?

I have been looking for a new deer rifle and have narrowed my caliber to the 270 WSM but I cant decide on the gun. I'm looking at a Savage 11/111 FCNS and the Savage 16/116 FCSS. If your not familiar with the guns here are the links to each. Any experience, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which Savage?

Looks like your only real difference here is stainless or blued. Either will make you a very decent deer rifle. I've shot a savage 270wsm a little that I bought for my dad. It is a fun rifle and works very well on deer. Don't think you can go wrong with either one here. What ranges do you intend to shoot with it?
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

300 yards would be a rarity but a possibility and probably the farthest i would shoot. The most common range would be in the neighborhood of 150 to 250 yards.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Get the Savage that says "Remington Model 700" on the side of it. Those are the best ones ever made.

In all seriosness, Savages aren't bad rifles, I just don't like them. I prefer to stick with the Rem 700. Everyone has their own preference.

I'd check into a 7mm-08, 7mm WSM, .308 Win, 6.5-284 Norma... Hell, even a .257 Roberts would be a good deer rifle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Get the Savage that says "Remington Model 700" on the side of it. Those are the best ones ever made.

In all seriosness, Savages aren't bad rifles, I just don't like them. I prefer to stick with the Rem 700. Everyone has their own preference.
If my Remingtons shot like my Savages I would not have had to buy a lathe and a bunch of parts to fix them

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
If my Remingtons shot like my Savages I would not have had to buy a lathe and a bunch of parts to fix them
See, I've had the opposite experience....Every Rem 700 I've ever owned shot tight cloverleaf groups, and all the Savages I've shot (other people's) were shooting 1-2 MOA groups @ 100 yards, with the exception of my buddy's Savage .17 HMR, it was shooting nice tight groups at 100 yards. And I've shot friends' Rem rifles that wouldn't shoot a 4 MOA group @ 100....Granted it was a Model 710 (which ain't no 700), but still I've shot bad Remington's as well.

So, please everybody don't think I just like to bash Savage and Praise Remington. I've had both good and bad experiences with both. I make my decisions discerningly, and use proper logic to weigh my opinions. And in the end, I have always had good luck with the Rem 700 rifles I've bought, and bad luck with majority of the Savages I've shot at the ranges and at people's houses and stuff. So for me my opinion weighs the way things have worked out for me.

I think it's all just in how the dice was rolled. I think everyone either has a good or bad experience with a brand, and the few lucky ones have had both, so they were able to realize which one they preferred.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

For hunting, go stainless. I like blue, wood rifles. But for a true hunter, I stick with SS and non wood stock.