Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigmaster10 View Post
I love mine and hold 8-10" groups at 1000 yards in my test yesterday with 0-15 mph gusting winds. I use berger 300 gr hybrids. w/ 90.5 gr of Vihtavuori N570. CCI mag primers. It shoots 2700 FPS. Love this rifle. Also I tried 250 gr hornady hpbt and loaded from 3000-3130 fps and the rifle shot horrible. Does anyone have any answers for that.
Notmally, Hornady components are good. In this case Hornady missd the mark entirely with quality components, th brass sucks too. Even wors than PPU which is bad. Stick with anything other than Hornady or PPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigmaster10 View Post
Best load i have found so far is 300gr berger hybrid. 90.5grs vihta vuori n570 and cci mag primers for a speed of about 2725fps. I have loaded a little hotter but the cases get a little sticky. Oh and i have nosler cases and wish i lapua brass.
If you want Lapua Brass in the end game, order preloaded HSM 338 rounds in Lapua brass. Good factory loads in th best cases available. I like my 111 as well. Problem is, it's heavy, not a pack gun for average hunters.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

I should have just been patient and ordered lapua brass is what i meant.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

In case you dont recall, I have had issues with hornady brass becoming stuck inside my chamber after firing and even a very stiff bolt with lapua brass. It seems a lot of people have been having the same issue. Once I had separation occur of the brass from the lower primer portion, I decided I was done shooting the rifle until the issue was resolved. Separation is when the fired brass splits into two pieces inside the chamber. Its hard to explain. Basically, after I fired a round ....I pulled the bolt back to reveal TWO pieces of brass.

Its been a while since I posted on the subject because I wanted to get to the bottom of this before I said anything. The rifle's accuracy is not something I can complain about. It seems to shoot fine, but is a nightmare when it comes to ejecting brass, etc.

My friend who taught me a lot about shooting still has many friends that he met throughout scout sniper school. One of those is a gunsmith who builts custom rifles. After I showed my friend the problems I was having with my LRH111, he wanted to take it to the gunsmith he knows.

The gunsmith that he sent my rifle off to did some basic tests first to see if it was a head-spacing issue. After looking at some of my fired brass he was afraid the rifle might be over chambered. So he sent it off to his friend to have it air mikd on his own equipment.

Anyhow, I was told the following:
(I may not be repeating it correctly so bear with me)

The gun smith said the air miked results show that is it over chambered in shoulder length by .003 (three-thousandths) of an inch. This is making the brass slap up against the chamber when fired and stretching the brass much more than normal. No wonder I was trimming it all the freaking time. The tests ALSO show that it is "out of round" inside the chamber. So bad news on two major issues.

There is no way the gunsmith can fix anything like that obviously, so it is fixing to go back to Savage. The gunsmith supposedly has contacts at Savage and is going to call them up to explain the situation and provide all the results that I need. I dont see how they can "fix" an issue like that without replacing the entire chamber. I have not even fired over 200 rounds through the barrel so its pretty new.

I will follow up with another post once I hear back from Savage. I plan on mailing it to them sometime next week.