Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage 111 LRH in 300 WM poor accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH in 300 WM poor accuracy

How meticulous are you with your reloading? By this Iím referring to reloading the best possible match ammo for a factory gun, or any gun of that matter. If you can articulate every aspect of your reloading process you are headed there! I have experienced more than one occasion a factory rifle shooting quality reloaded ammo performing better than a custom rifle with "so so" reloaded ammunition.

Sporter contour barrels on factory guns can be very picky with internal ballistics and harmonics to include torque settings. My Savage LRH during load development was around 2"+ initially with proven recipes. I make significant changes in powder charge and seating depth during development if warranted. Once I see a change in group size itís time to refine to smaller changes. Sometimes as much as .005" in seating depth and/or .1 gr. powder charge make all the difference. Not to mention a change in primer.

No set solution. Frequently changes to powder charge and seating depth are a good start. For the most part if a proven recipe doesnít work, itís trial and multiple trips to the rangeÖhence why custom guns with a proven load can be much easier to work with.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH in 300 WM poor accuracy

I had a 338 lapua long range hunter it was not truly free floated. also the accustock is a aluminum bedding block. mine shot fine